V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Keep on Ridin'
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone using the RKC leather tour-pak with a reach seat? It seems that the passenger portion of the seat is crowding the tour-pak making it hard, if not impossible, to get it into the mounting brackets.

:huh:

Would appreciate any advise or tips from someone who has made this combination work.

·
Keep on Ridin'
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry ... forgot some of the critical info.

2008 Road King Classic with Reach Seat.

The mounting hardware was installed by the dealer and I am attempting to attach the tour-pak.

·
Registered
433 Posts
The Tourpak mount has two positions that you can mount it. Turn it over to see if the screws are mounted in the forward holes of the rack or the back. If in forward, take out the five screws that hold the Tourpak onto the rack and move it back. The extra inch or so may allow it to go on without hitting the seat.

·
Keep on Ridin'
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks ... I checked them again to make sure I wasn't just spacing it. The tourpak is mounted in the back holes which gives it the best chance of fitting. However, the forks that need to straddle the front most docking bolts lack at least a couple of inches of reaching. It seems that either the rack is too short or the docking hardware is too far forward.

I am guessing I will need to take the tourpak and the bike back to the shop and dare them to make it fit.

:nunu:

·
Registered
433 Posts
It's possible that you don't have all the proper mounting hardware installed. There are two parts to the mounting hardware - front mounts for the sissy bar backrests and rear mounts for the tour pack racks. You only need the front mounts if you run just sissy bar, but you need both if you use tourpak mounts or other heavy duty systems. It could be your saddle is larger than normal, but I'm running a sundowner which has a large pillion and it works ok with the tour pack in the rear position. Hope you get it figured out.

·
Keep on Ridin'
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RB Jones said:
It's possible that you don't have all the proper mounting hardware installed ... It could be your saddle is larger than normal, but I'm running a sundowner which has a large pillion and it works ok with the tour pack in the rear position. Hope you get it figured out.
Thanks for the input RB. I had both sets of docking hardware, had the rear set installed when I purchased the tourpak. I am running the touring reach-seat and it does have a larger passenger pillion than stock. I have put a touring detachable 2-up luggage rack on the rear docking points and am most likely going to abandon the tourpak in favor of some strap-on bags for the rack.

:dunno:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts