V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my lovely boyfriend (who, might I add, is ADDICTED to this site) just bought a 2005 XL 883L so that I can start riding myself. I figured I'd join this thing also so that I might get some advice from all of you..... I am going to take a beginner rider's course at the end of March so that I feel more comfortable on the bike. Any suggestions for a new rider? Thanks in advance for all your help. I hope to learn a lot from all of you on here.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Wow, sounds like you got a good Man. A real good Man. A really really good Man. I can't imagine how you have showed him your thanks for being so generous. Hell, he's probably handsome to boot. :D

Oh yeah, welcome to the forum.

darrell
(hoping she shows me some more thanks)

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
congrats on the bike and welcome. find somewhere to ride away from the busy city traffic if you can. find a route that's one with lest congestion to get there from your starting point. bought my wife a sportster last spring and it's great riding with her. watch out for having the front wheel turned and stopping. the bike will want to fall over. that's a very common way that people drop their bikes. most people drop their bike at a stand still. always be a bit on edge when riding, never feel too comfortable, that's when you let your gaurd down.

good luck and ride safe.

·
Ridin' & Glidin'
2,116 Posts
harleygirl21584 said:
So, my lovely boyfriend (who, might I add, is ADDICTED to this site) just bought a 2005 XL 883L so that I can start riding myself. I figured I'd join this thing also so that I might get some advice from all of you..... I am going to take a beginner rider's course at the end of March so that I feel more comfortable on the bike. Any suggestions for a new rider? Thanks in advance for all your help. I hope to learn a lot from all of you on here.
Congrats and welcome. :cool:

Best advice for a new rider is to never -- never ride beyond your comfort level.

Don't ride faster than you are comfortable with just to keep up.

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. Just follow the boyfriends advise, he sounds like a he knows what he is talking about and what he is doing, ^rolleyez^ after all he did buy a bike for you to ride. He must know a few things, keep him happy and enjoy the road.
Best advise, go at your own pace, ride in the country to get a feel for the bike, ride at your own pace, practice emergency stuff in big parking lots, ride at your own pace, do not push yourself in the beginning, it will come to you, ride at your own pace, and have fun.
:welcome:

·
it wasn't me
340 Posts
Welcome to the site Harley Girl!! You've got a lot of good open roads near you, stay away from 49 and 55 until your ready. Always assume that cars don't see you and will pull out in front of you. While it may not be the case, you'll be prepared. Remember, on a bike, it doesn't matter who has the right of way.

Ride safe and be alert.

·
Registered
39 Posts
new rider

Congratulations. Like the others said, always assume the worst. I try to make eye contact with other cars at intersections. Treat driveways as intersections too! dont follow to closely when riding. I took a beginer riding course as well , after not having been on a bike for about 20 years. It was the best money spent. They will teach you things that even experenced riders arent aware of. I even tell experenced riders to take it. Take it slow, and have a ball.
POP

·
Lazy 98
355 Posts
I was told as a kid to pretend you're invisible. It's not if something's gonna happen, it's when. My wife took the beginner class offered by the State out here and it was the best thing she ever did (besides hook me!) Welcome!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just want to say thanks to everyone so far. I really appreciate all your advice for me as a new rider. I will keep you posted on how the course was and once I get out on the road by myself. Thanks again!

Shannon
(I OBVIOUSLY haven't shown him enough thanks.....)
:)

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
:welcome: to the forum. Sounds like ya got plenty of advice. Post up often and enjoy.

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
:welcome: to the forums. You will enjoy the course. You will learn some things about riding a motorcycle that most people have been told wrong. The first thing is the front brake. Most have been told NEVER use the front brake it will flip you over. WRONG!! These are the things they will help to remove from your mind and teach the correct way of properly stopping and handing a cycle. While there is only so much you can learn in a short class, you can apply that knowledge going forward (at your own pace) and get better with time. It is not a bad idea to go out to an empty parking lot at nights to practice maneuvers. Whatever you do, just have fun.

Congrats on the new scoot.

·
ovanay elinquentday
2,021 Posts
Welcome to the site, and safe riding!

Enjoy that bike, but stay clear of Iron, he's the kind who would buy a gal a Sporty just so he could ride it himself! Looks like he's too close to you up there. :)

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Glad you are taking the course and welcome... hopefully you will become addicted too... the bike and the forum.

My best advise is to provide frequent loving to that boy... he obviously deserves it.

Get the counter-steering concept mastered, pay attention to braking with respect to curves, and most important... assume everyone will do exactly the wrong thing out there on the road.

oh.... have a blast on that thing!!!

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
Ironrdr said:
Wow, sounds like you got a good Man. A real good Man. A really really good Man. I can't imagine how you have showed him your thanks for being so generous. Hell, he's probably handsome to boot. :D

Oh yeah, welcome to the forum.

darrell
(hoping she shows me some more thanks)
I heard he was a real dog face........%[email protected]

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
harleygirl21584 said:
I just want to say thanks to everyone so far. I really appreciate all your advice for me as a new rider. I will keep you posted on how the course was and once I get out on the road by myself. Thanks again!

Shannon
(I OBVIOUSLY haven't shown him enough thanks.....)
:)
Hey you two....video tape, or record all of this thanks giving...........
could be handy to watch^rolleyez^

·
fourty three and seven...
3,465 Posts
Sorry I am late to the welcome party. I have had some catching up to do.

Welcome to the fine Establishment of most excellent people who ride and love motorcycles.

Post up and enjoy.

·
Registered
340 Posts
From one girl rider to another, welcome. Nice bike. feel free to send me private messages about anything. Sometimes these guys will pick apart the dumb things we do and believe me you will never live it down. Just ask 8-Ball about the scratch on his chrome.

Always check to make sure your kickstand is really down. There is a very fine line between holding it up and laying it down.:boobies: :boobies: :boobies:

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
welcome to the family. Some great folks here with outstanding knoweldge and a real desire to help one another. Peace.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.