V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I had to wait 42 years to get my first Harley. I bought a new 2004 lowrider my dealer had on the floor and it was delivered on the 9th. It was to cold until today to ride so as you can guess I was counting down the minutes to get home from work and go for a ride. So I get home do a small ride. I only had about an hour to ride before the wife got home so on my way back about two blocks from the house the engine light and battery light both come on. I was like no way!! Any way I get it home pour through the owners manual and it dosen't say squat about what it could be. So I figured it had been setting for a few I try to start it and see if the lights would come right back on or not. Guess what CLICK click will not turn over. Well great now it sets in the garage until the dealer opens monday and of course tomorrow is going to be a great day and my day off!
I did check the oil like the directions said for a warmed up motor and it looks like it has to much oil. Jiffy stand down bike level and the oil came up to T on the full hot so what about an inch above full.
Any ideas of what the heck it could be?
Thanks All!!
Tom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did charger the battery for about a half hour and it did start. So I thought I may be ok but only got two city blocks and both lights were back on again.
Home it sets..
Thanks
Tom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,983 Posts
It will take longer than a half hour to fully charge the battery. The motorcycle's charging system will not charge it once it's started. You'll have to give it a full charge. When the battery is low, it will do strange things. Use a trickle charger all night.
 

·
AXTELLERATOR
Joined
·
441 Posts
GrayRider said:
It will take longer than a half hour to fully charge the battery. The motorcycle's charging system will not charge it once it's started. You'll have to give it a full charge. When the battery is low, it will do strange things. Use a trickle charger all night.
Put a voltmeter across the Batt and if it were charged, you'd get like 12.5 volts. With the bike running (and presumably charging) you would see 13.8 to 14.5+ volts. If not, your not charging, but if you fully charge the Batt you should be able to run for a couple of hours or more before it dies. Starting takes a lot of juice, so once you start it, go for it and don't stop. Just a thought!
 
G

·
The bike got shipped from the factory without the battery connected. If the monkey at the shop didn't tighten the connections well enough that could cause your problem.

Harris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the charger on and will try again tomorrow. The battery terminals are good and tight. Do you think the check engine light coming on is related to the battery? The check engine light doesn’t mean an overheating problem does it? If it was over heating the oil light would come on correct? Thank you all for your help I appreciate it tons!!!
Tom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,983 Posts
You said it was a left over 2004, correct? If that's the case, the battery was probably discharged when they delivered it. The charging system on a bike isn't like that of a car, where you can jump it and it will charge itself. It will, however keep the battery charged once it's full. The check engine light will come on due to the battery being low. Charge it overnight, sleep well, don't worry and tomorrow ride it. If you still have problems, call the dealer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
158 Posts
Dude, Relax I know how you feel. If you have to know right now so you can sleep, go to meijer and buy a battery and go ridin. just my two cents. I know Thats what I would do, but I'm not right in the head.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
I would have the dealer give you a new battery thats fully chargedalso wouldnt hurt if he threw sumthing extra in just for the inconvenice of new bike delivered to you and couldnt even go for a decent ride because of there neglect laziness
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well after charging all night I went out for a ride today and no problems! Thank you all for your help. Just kinda freeked out having a problem on my first ride and being new to Harleys didn't know it was a simple thing just thank god it was.
Thanks again,
Tom
 
G

·
I would still go back to the dealer, and tell them about the problem. That battery likely is weak, and should be replaced (under warranty).

Harris
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
348 Posts
TCS said:
Well I had to wait 42 years to get my first Harley. I bought a new 2004 lowrider my dealer had on the floor and it was delivered on the 9th. It was to cold until today to ride so as you can guess I was counting down the minutes to get home from work and go for a ride. So I get home do a small ride. I only had about an hour to ride before the wife got home so on my way back about two blocks from the house the engine light and battery light both come on. I was like no way!! Any way I get it home pour through the owners manual and it dosen't say squat about what it could be. So I figured it had been setting for a few I try to start it and see if the lights would come right back on or not. Guess what CLICK click will not turn over. Well great now it sets in the garage until the dealer opens monday and of course tomorrow is going to be a great day and my day off!
I did check the oil like the directions said for a warmed up motor and it looks like it has to much oil. Jiffy stand down bike level and the oil came up to T on the full hot so what about an inch above full.
Any ideas of what the heck it could be?
Thanks All!!
Tom
I had the same thing happen to me on my new '05 FXDL last year about a month after I got it. Dealer had to replace the Voltage Regulator - it was dead. He said it was the second one he had done last year. Have not had a bit of trouble since.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
Harris said:
I would still go back to the dealer, and tell them about the problem. That battery likely is weak, and should be replaced (under warranty).

I agree. After riding my new 06 for 4500 miles, I let it sit for a month, and it wouldn't turn over (only clicked). I blamed the batt. drain on the security system (my first - what do I know?), even though it wasn't turned on. So I figured that it just needed to have the Battery Tender on it all winter. After float charging for 2 wks., I sent it off to the dealer for the trans recall (started OK then), and in 1 1/2 wks., it wouldn't crank for them. They tested and replaced the battery under warranty. I'd have your dealer test your battery. Takes 2 minutes, and costs nothing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
248 Posts
glad its fixed, good advice.
ps. at least with my '05 FXDL... a lot of "dealers"/service people seem to think it takes 3 quarts...however it takes 2.5.

...so with regards to your overfill, that may be the sitch on why yours is overfilled if capacities are the same as mine...

...easy to drain some out, just a low pan, loosen the plug (check service manual for the right one, NOT the tranny plug, and voila, small amount out= correct reading! another vote for "do your own service"

...just don't let the oil out when it is wicked hot like I did OUCH:yikes:

happy trails

ace57
'05 FXDL "molly"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I did call the dealer on Monday and told them about the problem. They told me to bring it out or they would send a trailer out and pick the bike up to check everything out to be on the safe side what ever I wanted to do. I told them I would just bring it in next weather permitting day and that I didn't think it was necessary for them to come pick it up. They told me just to let them know when I was coming so a tech could look at it while I wait. I don't think anyone could ask more from a dealer then that. Now I just need a nice day well warm enough day to get it out there. Once again thanks for all the help and comments this is a GREAT forum and so glad to be a part of it.
Tom
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top