V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
yes they work fine make sure you use the single seal set not the double on the street

·
Registered
422 Posts
Total Seal Rings-NEVER AGAIN!

I put them in my turbo EVO and after literally HOURS of consulting with the tech dept at Total Seal to make double sure they would work in my application- I broke the valve relief off the rear piston when the ends of the "stepped" ring ends touched and lifted the top of the piston off. Guess where that ended up going? Well, it went into the other cylinder, bent all 4 valves, and then completed it's journey in the exhaust side of the turbo where it took out the wheel. So all in all, it cost me about $2,500 to repair the damage. I looked in the front cylinder and the score from the ring ends overcoming each other was deep and pronounced. I thought the motor smoked alot for about 1,500 miles on the top end rebuild. These rings were wrong right from the start. I was however making 115/115 on the dyno for just 80 cubes and that is with some very deep scores. If you are building a really hot motor I would just use "regular" rings. Good luck, Friday
gusanito said:
I'm doing a top end on an Evo and I'm thinking of using these.
Anybody have any experience with them?

http://www.totalseal.com/

TIA,
George

·
In disguise
2,864 Posts
Friday1 said:
I put them in my turbo EVO and after literally HOURS of consulting with the tech dept at Total Seal to make double sure they would work in my application- I broke the valve relief off the rear piston when the ends of the "stepped" ring ends touched and lifted the top of the piston off. <snip>
These rings were wrong right from the start.
I recently had a good deal of work done to my Evo, including new rings, and I talked to my shop at length about these things and finally went back to stock HD rings. Essentially, they said that there was no reason to use them for street applications. I don't have them--totally satisfied with going back with stock HD rings, and after reading the above, I'm glad I didn't use them.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
I have used them and tested the claims of less leak down and yada yada and could not justify the cost over standard rings which work just fine. I am sure there is a use for them but for the normal build I could not see any advantage in using them.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Total Seal Piston Rings

I've used Total Seal Piston Rings on two of my Bikes and had no problems
at all with them. One street bike, one drag bike.
Just ordered another set today for my FXDL.-2$en#e-

·
Registered
1 Posts
gapless rings

I have run total seal gap less rings in my 96" for the last year. No problems and the power is great. I run a true 10.5:1 compression with a red shift 625 cam, and worked over STD heads. After 15k hard miles on this engine it still shows 3% leakdown and over 110 pounds of torque.

Ed 1%er

1 - 9 of 9 Posts