V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks
I had one and it fell down in the battery area. I have not been able to find it yet. I hate these damn Torx fockers. I stripped one out already and had to do some fancy stuff to get that one out.

Where can I buy Chrome Allen head screws?

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
Watch when using chrome bolts. You have to make sure that they are the correct grade. Harleys have a lot of grade 8 fasteners. Most chrome fasteners are not grade 8. Also corrosion is an issue. Chrome is going to rust quickly. Ever had your bike sit out in the rain for a brief period and then find the seat screw and dash screw rusted? Think about what is going on back where the threads are from a little moisture. I have chrome screws in my handlebar controls. They rust quickly and are hard to clean up. If you want some shine, why not polish the stainless fasteners?

·
Registered
123 Posts
FWIW, I have found that the torx set from harborfreight to be a handy set if you can accept an 'off shore package', and the only one this side of Snap-on that has the T27 size

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
I thought that it was a 38???? Damn screw types, even the right size wrench never seems to work...

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
cathari said:
FWIW, I have found that the torx set from harborfreight to be a handy set if you can accept an 'off shore package', and the only one this side of Snap-on that has the T27 size
Torx 3/8" sockets are available in any size you need for Harley from Sears tool catalog. Ones I have also have a removeable bit so you can replace it when necessary. NAPA sells bits with a lifetime warranty. You need mostly T25, T27, T40 and T45. Can't recall offhand any other sizes I've used on HD's but it's been a while since I wrenched on anything other than mine.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Ed Y said:

Torx 3/8" sockets are available in any size you need for Harley from Sears tool catalog.
Must have missed that. the sears up here (& web) did not carry T27 (& it seems everything on my sled is T27) Shame, I like craftsmen

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
I've never looked at the store or web, just ordered from the catalog I get.
Who knows??

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Torx

The sears craftsman torx work for most items. However the passanger foot pegs on a 03 softail need a T-50 and the craftsman comes with it but its not a long shank like you need. Snap on is the only one I have sen with the long shank torx sockets.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts