V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some new chrome parts for my XLC, and I need some torque wrenches and bits. Anyone have any suggestions on what exactly to get and where. I have never used torque's before.

·
Known Associate
175 Posts
Craftsman (from Sears). Good quality, will last you for years.
Wes.

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Sears is good for both Torx bits and torque wrenches.
Make sure the set of Torx bits and wrenches has a T27 bit in it. A lot of sets do not.

·
Banned
873 Posts
Just don't turn too hard. Stupid torx heads from HD seem to round out without out a lot of muscle.

ed. Oops torque wrench. Yeah duh I knew what you meant!

·
I'm Paid Up...
1,732 Posts
I'd go with Sears Craftsman tools. If you want a lower quality set, get it at Harbor Freight. But also get gloves and eye protection to stay safe when you break the Harbor Freight tool !!!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Another vote for Craftsmen. Join the Craftsmen club and get torque wrenchs and torx sockets on sale for a week beginning Jan 8. Get the 3/8 ft-lbs, and 3/8 in-lbs. wrenches

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Homarr said:
Just don't turn too hard. Stupid torx heads from HD seem to round out without out a lot of muscle.
Yep, I've had that happen to me. After that I try to swap out the stock zinc plated torx hardware with chrome or stainless. They are more robust it seems.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
make sure you read your instructions and lubricate the bolts with what the instructions tell you to like loctite or oil on the bolts and under the head of the bolt. and remember nobody likes the dry bolt

·
Registered
53 Posts
as a general reply, Ofnaman's header says he is from Germany. Probably like us in the UK not likely to get Sear's branded tools.
as a personal recomendation I would go with the best I can afford. My Draper socket set is near 30 years old and Ive only replaced 1/2 and 10mm sckets in that time.
Snap-On have a lifetime garuntee if you can afford them but really check out a reliable garage and see what they are using locally.
Regarding Torque wrenches , 2 needed one 0-20lb/ft the other 20 up unless you want to get a further one for 80+ for flywheels etc. dont bother with swing pointer ones get the ratchet sort that you preset and lock, remembering to unlock and rewind after use.
with chrome parts use the best fitting socket you have to avoid rounding and chipping the plate.
when you can afford it try to double up 1/2 and 3/8 square drive as there will be places the 1/2 wont go in.
A word of warning, dont use Stainless where shear forces occur, standard steel ones chrome plated if you need the finish, Ive even had bikes where the previous owner fitted aluminium bolts in the rear sprocket. I dumped the power and sheared the lot off!:loser:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts