V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Ridge Rider
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone suggest a good 'all purpose' torque wrench for working on Harley's? I'd like to have only one but the torque ranges seem to preclude that. Also the service manual states that to adjust the idle speed you need a 'special' tool. (Supplied by Harley at significant cost.) Is this true and is it possible to adjust the idle speed without removing the air cleaner?

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
Dawg said:
Can anyone suggest a good 'all purpose' torque wrench for working on Harley's? I'd like to have only one but the torque ranges seem to preclude that. Also the service manual states that to adjust the idle speed you need a 'special' tool. (Supplied by Harley at significant cost.) Is this true and is it possible to adjust the idle speed without removing the air cleaner?
I know what you mean by inch lbs. and foot lbs. torque wrench. I just have one of each but there are combination wrenches available. As far as idle adjustment, I just use a philips-head screw driver. If you look where your throttle cable connects to the carburetor assembly, you will see the idle adjustment screw. It is actually a "stop" which controls the idle. The idle is adjusted when your engine is at normal operating temperature and set to 950-1050 RPM. Don't idle down too low for that slow potato-potato classic sound because that is very hard on the bottom end.

·
Ridge Rider
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Re: Torque Wrench

FifthGear said:

I know what you mean by inch lbs. and foot lbs. torque wrench. I just have one of each but there are combination wrenches available. As far as idle adjustment, I just use a philips-head screw driver. If you look where your throttle cable connects to the carburetor assembly, you will see the idle adjustment screw. It is actually a "stop" which controls the idle. The idle is adjusted when your engine is at normal operating temperature and set to 950-1050 RPM. Don't idle down too low for that slow potato-potato classic sound because that is very hard on the bottom end.
Thanks. I think for the inch/lbs I will wing it. I've stripped enough bolts over the years that I have a soft touch for the smaller ones. As for the idle adjustment, mine idles at about 1400 RPM when hot. Can you get to the adjustment without removing the air cleaner?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Dawg,

Winging it with the smaller fasteners can prove to be a headache, big time! A "calibrated elbow" can still easily strip the threads in aluminum. For around $60 you can get a good in-lb torque wrench at Sears.

Cold Rider

1 - 5 of 5 Posts