V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I'd like to get a torque wrench for working on the FLHT (primarily) I don't require snap-on quality (or price) but I would like to get a "click type" wrench. Whats the best overall size wrench for working on Harley's or will I have to purchase a foot pound wrench AND an inch pound wrench?

Thank you in advance for your advice

·
Registered
544 Posts
I have one of each and both of mine were from Sears, Craftsman torque wrenches. Best way to check is run through your shop manual and see what all you are indenting on getting into and based upon that go with the one that fits your needs. I would suspect if you are working with mostly the outside of the engine then go with one with inch pounds because a lot of the outsides are aluminum or softer metal, inside is where you’d need the ft-lbs.

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
I agree witrh VA V-rod but if you plan to do all the work yourself...go ahead and get both right away. Axle nuts and a few others need the bigger one and you don't want to skimp on the check-ups on those.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the response. What is the range of your wrenches? Is the ft lb wrench a 3/8 inch drive with range from 10 -70 ft lbs? and the inch pound like 1/4 inch drive with a range from what...1 to 12 inch lbs?

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
No, the in-lb is 3/8 and the foot-lb is 1/2. But remember 1 foot-lb is just 12 in-lbs. You will find yourself using the small one set at 120 in-lb when the spec calls for 10 foot-lbs sometimes. Just be sure the 2 you buy have overlapping ranges. Also, get the adapters that will let you use a 1/4 socket on the 3/8 drive wrench and the one that lets you use a 3/8 socket on the 1/2 drive big wrench. They are a few bucks each, also at Sears but worth every penny.

Mine are something like 25-250 in-lb (about 2-21 ft-lb) on the 3/8 drive and 20-150 ft-lbs on the 1/2 drive.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I'm an ex avation mechanic and my little brother is one today. We both like the digital ones from Sears .Their the best as far as price points are concerned and buying one on a Sunday , even though he's a huge Snap-on guy. LOL. Everytime we take the Caftsman torque wrenches into get certified they are right with in spec. I can't complain about Craftsman torque wrenches.

·
BFFB
833 Posts
tourque wrench

i couldnt find and inch or foot pound that went low enough for derby and chain cover at sears ,,,i have crraftsman foot pound i use for swing arm and clutch maint.i thind it was around 70$ mine has low range of 10 lb pounds which is 120 in pounds,,,,, to high for inspection covers,,i just go by feel,,,guess i must be doing ok they have never leaked

·
Just bad
698 Posts
The problem you run into is tq wrenches have bigger error at the limits. Also wrenches that torque both directions are more error prone than one-way wrenches. Which is why I have 4 tq wrenches:

1/2" drive flex head click (beam) 40 - 250 ft-lb (RH only, Snap-on)
1/2" drive fixed head click 20 (twist) - 200 (RH & LH Sears)
3/8" drive flex head click 20 (beam) - 100 ft-lb (RH only, Snap-on)
3/8" drive fixed dial type 0 - 300 in-lb (RH only S-K)

The Sears wrench is an old one that is well used and I only use it if I have to torque lefties. Since 99.9% of what I work on is RH thread I use my better wrenches on everything else.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
torque wrench accuracy

Like 2DUECE, I gotta say these wrenches are more accurate than I expected. Compared my 2 Craftsmans (click type) to calibrated wrenches we have at work. They were right on. Guess I'm eventually going to have to spend a bit more money though for one which is good for the low inch pounds - till then, I borrow one from work. :)
Good rides,
Don

1 - 12 of 12 Posts