V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Drifter of threads
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's a safe torque value when plugging up bung holes or fastening oxygen sensors?

On a guess, I torqued the plugs to seal up the 02 bungs on my ST pipes to 15 ft lbs, which is the same ballpark # as when torqueing down spark plugs. I put plenty of anti seize on the plugs.

The confusion is that I asked the fellow at Daytona sensors this question and he says finger tight only! That would be on plugs as well as the sensors. He says tightening any more than that would cause the plug/sensor to seize up over time.

Harley Davidson recommends 30 to 44 ft lbs of torque on their sensors and I assume they intended that with the idea that they could be removed at some point if necessary.

Anyway, I have the Twin Scan II with wego sensors and I don't want to over torque anything, but I don't want any exhaust leakage or plugs falling out either. Who's correct or better yet, what works for you?

T

·
Registered
772 Posts
TKanaley

30 - 44 ft lbs will be just fine! I also have the WEGO's in my DTT setup. Don't be afraid, your not going to hurt or damage anything.

·
Drifter of threads
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HD says 30 to 44 foot pounds. I had them check the manual again just to be sure.

Oh and thanks, Roadie! Finger tight just didn't sound right, but when the man at Daytona Sensors says finger tight who am I to argue with him.

I used a copper washer under the flange on the plug and plenty of anti seize on the threads and tightened the plug until I got a good seal. That turned out to be 15 foot pounds. I started with 10, but I got a wisp of smoke out the bungs when blipping the throttle so I torqued it till it quit. Without the copper washer, It would probably need to be torqued a bit more to get a good seal.

Just didn't want to booger it up. :)

·
Registered
772 Posts
TKanaley said:
HD says 30 to 44 foot pounds. I had them check the manual again just to be sure.

Oh and thanks, Roadie! Finger tight just didn't sound right, but when the man at Daytona Sensors says finger tight who am I to argue with him.

I used a copper washer under the flange on the plug and plenty of anti seize on the threads and tightened the plug until I got a good seal. That turned out to be 15 foot pounds. I started with 10, but I got a wisp of smoke out the bungs when blipping the throttle so I torqued it till it quit. Without the copper washer, It would probably need to be torqued a bit more to get a good seal.

Just didn't want to booger it up. :)
Just make sure you snug them in so they don't leak. Copper washers would also work if you prefer. Actually, it would be better to torque them while warm or hot. Just be careful you don't burn yourself. And your right, the seal is whats most important here. Careful with that antisieze, you really don't need a whole lot of that stuff. And you certainly don't want it to leak on the sensors either.

Whats the bottom line with your system? How is it runnin?

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Checked my service manual. It says 29-44 foot pounds. I have plugs in mine, torqued to 29 foot pounds and haven't had any problems.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts