V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am replacing all of the bolts on my bike with a set of Stainless Steel ones from alloy bolts. the kit inlcudes all cover bolts, including rocker covers.

Can someone point me in the right direction. should I locktite them, what in/lb or ft/lb rating...

05 softail springer classic.

Thanks

·
Registered
294 Posts
You should seek out this info from the manual.

Some bolts may take locktite and some may not. I would think hardley any, if at all will need locktite.

Too many bolts to be listed.

Maybe some one has a list they can post for you.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
It's ALOT of bolts! The two most common specs are PFT and RFT but probably not the standards you'll wanna use! Look in your manual, be a pain tracking em all down but they sure look pretty when your done. Like a hundred little diamonds sprinkled on you motor compared to the stockers. My bike was 4 years old when I put em on so my stockers didn't look to great.
Have fun!

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Yep going to have to look up. Thats alot of differant bolts. I been looking at the standard kit, ss 99&up. $70. Do the rocker cover bolts have the indention for 3/16??
What are the factory bolts made out of? Been worrying alittle bit about using the wrong type of metal.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Notice there head bolts are 6 and not 12 pnt. Would 12pnt heads have better gripping. I always use 6pnt sockets for 6pnt bolts. So not sure if a problem.

·
ovanay elinquentday
2,021 Posts
jcorso1111 said:
I am replacing all of the bolts on my bike with a set of Stainless Steel ones from alloy bolts. the kit inlcudes all cover bolts, including rocker covers.

Can someone point me in the right direction. should I locktite them, what in/lb or ft/lb rating...

05 softail springer classic.

Thanks
Most of the stock cover bolts take loctite. The HD ones will come with thread locker already on them. If yours don't have it, blue is generally the answer for these. The manual will have the torque ratings you need.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Didn't use any locktite on outer primary or anythin on it. Blue for some of the rest. Don't use red. Use blue. Read the manual. Most of thse will be in engine assembly.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
GPO03FatBoy said:
Most of the stock cover bolts take loctite. The HD ones will come with thread locker already on them. If yours don't have it, blue is generally the answer for these. The manual will have the torque ratings you need.
I agree if your using factory bolt kits they come with the proper locktite patch already, but after market kits you should always use blue if in doubt!
In general if you dont have a manual go with these:
1/4" fasteners (outer-primary, cam-cover, tappet-covers, trans-side/top covers ) use blue loctite....80~120 in.lbs.
5/16" fasteners ( top rocker box covers ) 15~18 ft.lbs. ( 156~192 in.lbs ) blue locktite.
Hope this Helps!!

·
OBSESSED
1,072 Posts
Torque values are different for SS. A sheet comes with your set if you bought from Alloyboltz. I believe you need to use neversieze or locktite because of the difference in metals.

Dave

·
Wandering Child
632 Posts
Okay then....

So why would the stainless react with the aluminum and not the zinc plated bolts that come stock on the bikes? Seriously.

I have the stainless bolts. Is this a loctite thing or an anti sieze thing? So far in this thread we have two opinions that are 180 degrees out of sync.

·
2005 Road King Classic
1,632 Posts
Do not use the CAM COVER torque specs in the Manual!! You will crack your case. Use 90-120 INCH/lbs( plus a dab of Blue Loctite for stock bolts). I also used a tap to clean out all the holes to make sure there was no corrosion or oil in them.

·
Wandering Child
632 Posts
crash1292 said:
alloyboltz said antiseize in the instructions
Can ya scan the sheet and email it to me? Dealer must have neglected to include the instruction sheet with the remainder of the bolts he returned to me.

·
Doing time, behind bars!
1,480 Posts
Still in business?

DRG said:
Torque values are different for SS. A sheet comes with your set if you bought from Alloyboltz. I believe you need to use neversieze or locktite because of the difference in metals.

Dave
Anyone know for sure if this company still in business? The eBay store has been pulled and when I try to checkout on the website store I don't get anywhere.......... John

·
Premium Member
946 Posts
I tried to call their phone # and the recording said that the business in for sale.
What a shame. It's probably one of those deals where the owner ran everything himself and the family does't know where to start.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Remember that stainless is way weaker than the grade 8 bolts you are replacing. The smaller 1/4" bolts have a tendancy to twist off when being torqued.
Any lubricant you use, like Loctite, multiplies torque. Torque specs are for dry application, so be careful.
Chrome bolts would be a better choice for strength.

·
Wandering Child
632 Posts
pa-glazier said:
I tried to call their phone # and the recording said that the business in for sale.
What a shame. It's probably one of those deals where the owner ran everything himself and the family does't know where to start.
Wow. That sucks big time. I get the impression Russ died suddenly.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts