V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered my V&H straitshots today I told them I was going to be going without the baffels and wanted tork cones.. The service manager told me I didn't need the cones with the V&H pipes.. Said they were designed to act like tork cones with the taper from 1 3/4 to 2 1/4. His he on the crack pipe or is this correct?? If I need the cones is there anyone better than the other.. I found one article that said the White Brothers were the best??

·
963 Posts
Matt;
The torque cones are for use in unbaffled pipes. My samsons are 1 3'4 all the way to the tip, and I have the cones. You will see a difference. The CNC machined cones are the best. They cost more, but over time the heat cannot distort them. They are right in the exhaust port, so they get all the abuse your engine can put out, stands to reason they don't need to warp.The pipes I took off were tapered without baffles, and I have noticed the engine builds rpm's easier with the new pipes and cones. Just my observations.-Rob

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks alot Rob I been doing alot of reading and I'm going to have them put in.. It seems the right thing to do..

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've had V&H straightshots on my FXDL for a little more than a year now and have run them with and without baffles.

With the baffles there are reasonably loud. While they don't produce too much noise at idle/low rpm, it is a good, throaty sound. Once you get going though they start to sing.

Without the baffles, they are definately loud. Friends said they could hear me coming from 3-4 blocks away. This does come at a pretty noticeable loss of performance though.

Also, at least in my case, when the baffles are out during shifts or when I get off the throttle and let the engine slow me down there is a pretty annoying report that sounds kind of like "wa-pa-ta-pa-ta-pa-ta" until the RPM gets down a bit. Really detracts from the "coolness" factor. I tried several different aftermarket baffles to try to get a balance between performance, volume, and getting rid of the report but never really found a good setup. Asking around it sounded like the torque cones would do this but I never tried them.

What I eventually came to for the best compromise was to leave the baffles in for day-to-day riding and take them out when I got to events. Works for me anyways.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts