V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 08 FLHT that I have trouble topping off tank without it blowing back at me. I tried pulling nozzle out so it's barely in hole and trying to ease the fuel in but no luck. Anyone else have this problem or tip to correct it?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Say Whut !!!!!!!!!!!!

joenuclear said:
Ya think these guys will have a better answer than "the other forum"? :laugh:
NO NO, DON"T TELL ME, yall ANI"T using some OTHER forum r ya ??????????? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooo
that's just knot rat

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know what Joenuc is talking about, just trying to keep the petro from making a mess. :unsure:

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
I actually refuel my Ultra with the bike upright. I haven't had any problems.

·
Iron Butt, SS2000
3,399 Posts
Apparently I'm not the Only One Who Does It This Way

1) Put the bike on the jiffy stand so it leans to the left and the tank opening is on the high side.
2) Walk around to the left side so you can easily see in the tank as your filling it.
3) Carefully hold the nozzle at the opening. Don't open the gas handle all the way. Just ease the gas in.
4) Careful that your ash does not fall into the tank. :yikes: %potst[email protected] :RTFB: :wavey:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Milehog said:
Izzat a problem?
Actually posting the same question in more than one forum forum can be helpful if you don't think you're getting enough "play" on the first one you query.

Most people who do however don't just copy and paste the same question into the next forum and then say they didn't.

Originally Posted by Chuck1
I don't know what Joenuc is talking about, just trying to keep the petro from making a mess.

http://www.hdforums.com/m_2235073/tm.htm

Is that a problem?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Milehog said:
Mountain out of a molehill.
@gree:

Couldn't have been said any better!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ahhhhh, Joe, I was just kidding. :wavey: Of course I knew I had posted it elsewhere. That's why I had the little sheepish looking icon afterward. And it wasn't a copy and paste and so what if it was. :cheers: sheeesh

My problem must be the pump I used? I always thought I was very good at not slopping gas all over when filling bikes. When I say top off, I really dont' mean to the bottom of the neck. When it happened 3 times. I thought WTH? Must be the station or pump, I'll try a different station today.

·
CrazierThanAShi*houseRat
108 Posts
Sounds like the vent/overflow line may be obstructed? I top mine off all the time, sometimes until it runs outta the overflow line under the bike.

·
"Jane you ignorant slut!"
2,292 Posts
I put the nozzel at the just in the fill hole and fill slowly. When it clicks off, I'm done. Everytime I've tried to just get a little more in, it results in a tank wash. First with fuel, then with the water for windshields.

·
Closet Doof
30 Posts
I am wondering the same thing. I traded my 2005 Heritage Softail Classic for a 2008 Ultra.

Never had a problem with the Heritage, as long as I paid attention.

Filled the ultra for the first time last night. Gas started backing up the filler when it was 2" from top. Wait for it to settle, put in a cup or two and it does the same thing. Over and over again maybe 10 times til it was full.

I thought maybe it was because the filler is in the middle, instead of on the high side like the Heritage.

I guess with 6 gal tank, maybe if I just stop at 5 1/2 thats OK.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
I have to tell you, I thought this string was a little nutsy until I watched my friend try to fill the tank on a Yamaha RoadStar. What a fiasco. Sqeeze a little, then wait a little. The fuel in the fill tube would slowly empty in the tank seeking level. Not sure if the vent was plugged or just small and the it took a while for the tank to settle. This is nuts.

·
Free agent
795 Posts
May be the cut-off valve in the pump handle. At some stations, it is a real mess when you try and top it off. It splatters everywhere!

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
You're obviously not using MOCO approved gasoline from MOCO certified gas pumps. Read the owner's manual. :RTFB: :roflback:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts