V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am chasing a top end knock and looking for help. This only happens after being at highway speeds for a few minutes. Other than that, no knock. As soon as I get off of the highway and stop at a light, it knocks. As soon as I take off from the light, the knock is gone. It sounds like front rocker box but I’m not sure if that. Anyone have any ideas? This started a couple of days ago. It’s been quite some time since I last tore in to the engine so it’s not anything that I did recently. I have a 2016 FXDLS with the following upgrades (if it matters):

Tuning by Faith Forgotten Choppers
D&D Fatcat 2-into-1 exhaust/perforated baffle
Screamin Eagle Heavy Breather with Pro Street Breakout K&N Filter
External crankcase breather
Feuling Reaper 574 cams
Screamin Eagle 58mm throttle body
Feuling 5.3 g/s fuel injectors
S&S lifters
Zippers dual piston cam chain tensioners
All Balls Racing bearings
Screamin Eagle adjustable pushrods
TTS Mastertune
621 acr update completed
Amsoil Super Shift ATF primary fluid
Amsoil 75/90 severe gear transmission fluid
Redline 20/50 oil
Belray 20wt fork oil
LMR oil pressure spring (Baisley)
LMR oil pump valve (Baisley)
Screamin Eagle Mahle 10.5 to 1 pistons
.030 cometic head gaskets
Full engine cometic gaskets
DK customs rocker lockers
Heads ported by Hillside Cycles
Double wound .625 lift valve springs
70t rear pulley
30t front pulley
rev limiter increased to 6500
Barnett Scorpion lockup clutch with billet basket
Zippers Derby Cover Spacer
Baker Attitude Adjuster primary chain tensioner
Magnum Shielding Copper Canyon clutch cable
Sumax 2 gauge high output battery cables
NGK Iridium Plugs (1 step colder)
Magnacore 8mm racing spark plug wires
Accel Supercoil
Power House high torque starter
Ultima 1.65 Roller Rocker Arms
Zippers Performance Rocker box spacer
Screamin Eagle forged rocker arm support plates
S&S Rocker Shafts

·
Registered
8,773 Posts
is the knock at a speed you can almost count or so quick you are lost by the count of 3,,, mental count not verbal..

it honestly sounds just like the symptoms of a compensator knock..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So it doesn’t knock at all while at speed. It only happens once I get off of the highway and am sitting at the light. It will go on for as long as I wait at the light and then it goes away as soon as I take off and doesn’t come back again unless I get back on the highway. It only happens after riding on the highway. I’m not sure if it would go away if I just revved the engine. I’m going to go out and try that a little later today just so I know. If it’s the compensator, generally that would just mean torquing it back down to spec, correct?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The knock itself is at a speed that I could mentally count. My roller rockers changed the sound of the bike and the extra knock that I have developed is the same speed as the roller rocker movement noise and honestly just sounds like a bit louder version of that. It is also opposite of the roller rocker sound that I will hear. It only happens once I get off of the highway and am sitting at the light. It will go on for as long as I wait at the light and then it goes away as soon as I take off and doesn’t come back again unless I get back on the highway. It only happens after riding on the highway. I’m not sure if it would go away if I just revved the engine. I’m going to go out and try that a little later today just so I know. If it’s the compensator, generally that would just mean torquing it back down to spec, correct?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts