V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Sponsored Editorial Content
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The best way to solve all these problems is to just ride by yourself, old numero uno. But no man is an island, and group rides are their own special kind of fun. At MO, we definitely do our fair share of group rides. Here’s what we’ve learned about the things most likely to go wrong, and what you can do to ward them off ahead of time.
Read more about the Top 10 Things That Go Wrong On Group Rides at Motorcycle.com.

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
What a waste of time. The author must be getting paid by the designer coffee company, because they are mentioned more than group rides are in an article about group rides. Besides, no one is going to meet at Starpucks, they don't sell beer or biscuits and gravy.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
I hate charity rides. Everyone groups up like they are the Shriners in a parade. I want space. Spread the fock out. Everyone knows we are riding from bar to bar. The cops tell us the bars we stopping at and away we go.

·
Super Moderator
19,557 Posts
What a waste of time. The author must be getting paid by the designer coffee company, because they are mentioned more than group rides are in an article about group rides. Besides, no one is going to meet at Starpucks, they don't sell beer or biscuits and gravy.
Oh I think the Wing'ers meet up there.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I see dumb people...
Are people just running out of things to write about these days? Ride to Eat, Eat to Ride. "I just wanna ride man!"

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
I see dumb people...
Are people just running out of things to write about these days? Ride to Eat, Eat to Ride. "I just wanna ride man!"
Oh the humility of it all. I don't ride to eat, but eat I must after taking my blood pressure pill. One day you will join the old farts club and take pills to stay alive.
Watch them at the restaurant as they sneak those little pills after they eat. It is no fun taking pills , but it is better than the alternative.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
How often has anyone here had a flat tire? picked up a nail in one (let alone two as mentioned in that waste-of-time article)?

I hope I'm not jinxing myself but I've never heard of that on a bike, maybe I'm just lucky.

·
Super Moderator
19,557 Posts
There is prolly a mathematical formula that could be applied.

But the larger the group, the more often you'll need to stop. And the longer the stops will take. Got BoB's? You'll prolly stop more often and for even longer.

·
Super Moderator
19,557 Posts
How often has anyone here had a flat tire? picked up a nail in one (let alone two as mentioned in that waste-of-time article)?

I hope I'm not jinxing myself but I've never heard of that on a bike, maybe I'm just lucky.
In a situation like that, one person should stay back with them while it gets fixed or towed, and the rest of the group rides on. Those two either catch up along the way or call it a day.

·
Banned
317 Posts
Folks, it's clickbait. One of those dumbass "stories" that require you to click 11 pages and be fed 11 sets of adverts.

I miss pack rides on sports machines as a dumb kid, only they were never rides, they always became/become Darwinian pack races ... if you did not finish, you did not finish and were left behind. Pretty much someone would run out of road and crash most times. I can remember some guy ending up in tears and the rest of us sniggering behind his back. Back then, I thought it was what you bought a motorcycle for.

Nails (and other hardware failures, e.g. capacitors, coils, chains etc, I remember my rear brake anchor falling off one time, someone front caliper coming off at 70mph) happen, but only once you reach the most inconvenient location at the most ungodly hour. After shops have shut.

I did not click ... did they mention "hit by a bird, animal or insect?". Deer are coming in some states, a friend came home with a pheasant once. Worst I had was an angry wasp going up the sleeve of my leathers above the speed limit on a twisty road which was fun. For him at least.

Or someone getting killed?

Ah, the good old daze.

·
Banned
560 Posts

I have had 3 that I remember. Always carry a can of Fix-a-Flat and a plug kit and air pump.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Oh the humility of it all. I don't ride to eat, but eat I must after taking my blood pressure pill. One day you will join the old farts club and take pills to stay alive.
Watch them at the restaurant as they sneak those little pills after they eat. It is no fun taking pills , but it is better than the alternative.

I have been on blood pressure and diabetes meds for about 20 years , like you said better to take pills than to " expire "

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
1) People
2) People
3) People
4) People
5) People
6) Road Construction
7) People
8) Traffic
9) People
10) Weather
Correctamundo!!!

If it's not somebody acting like a jackass and drawing the attention of John Law , who pulls EVERYONE over , and finds 1 or 2 who don't have their stuff squared away , and now ya gotta help these nitwits get their bikes home.

Or the same idiot with the same issues on the same bike that screwed us up last week.

Used to ride with more of those clowns than I wanted to. Most of them are dead now. I have 1 bro I've been riding with for 30yrs.

Rode with a guy we called "2-buck Chuck". Always had to pull over for gas because he only put 2-bucks worth in at a time.

And nobody takes "meet at 9:00 sharp seriously. The show up , one by one , and since we're waiting for what's his name , let's have a coffee , or a beer. So by the time everyone finally shows up , a few are now legally drunk and the coffee drinkers gotta take a dump!

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
There is prolly a mathematical formula that could be applied.

But the larger the group, the more often you'll need to stop. And the longer the stops will take. Got BoB's? You'll prolly stop more often and for even longer.
???? What is a BoB's???

1 - 20 of 29 Posts