V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In no particular order, here is my list of the Top Ten things you can do on or with a motorcycle.

1) Ride across the USA.

North to South, East to West, fast or slow, it really doesn't matter. Part of the experience is seeing (and being a part of) the incredible variety of scenery. Hear the regional accents, shop the regional convenience stores. Doing such a long trip takes planning, confidence and skill in your riding ability, and a certain amount of mechanical aptitude. Probably the greatest achievement for the street-riding "civilian" rider.

2) Attend the Keith Code California Superbike School.

Hey, I know this is a Harley forum for guys who like to ride laid-back cruisers. But learning how to go round corners quickly and smoothly makes you a much better rider. Safer, and better able to avoid accidents too, you'll also have the confidence and skill to keep up with the pack on your next friendly poker run. Plus, for a few dollars more, they'll let you ride one of their Kawasaki sportbikes with only a $350 damage deposit if you should accidentally get horizontal.

3) Attend a major bike event.

Sturgis, Biketoberfest, Hollister. Each one has its attractions and its own unique personality. Go for the races, go for the custom choppers, go for the wet t-shirt contests.

4) Ride in a parade.

Sometimes I think Harleys were made for riding in parades (unlike Kawasaki sport bikes..) Unless you are a returning war hero or a member of a World Series winning baseball team, riding a nicely turned out Harley is your best bet to experience the thrill of rolling down an avenue lined with cheering spectators.

5) Doing (some of) your own maintenance.

Motorcycles aren't as idiot-proof as Honda Accords. Heck, even Honda motorcycles aren't as idiot-proof as Honda Accords. To stay safe and happy you need to develop a certain amount of mechanical dexterity and knowledge, even if its just enough to replace a burned out tail-light yourself. Also teaches you never to buy cheap tools.

6) Ride a dirt bike off road.

What a great idea! A motorcycle that's supposed to get dirty, spin its rear wheel and fall down with regularity. A blast for adults, its also a great way to teach kids about motorized transportation, responsiblity, safety, and how to have fun without doing drugs.

7) Commute to Work.

You don't have to ride in every day. Thanks to The Weather Channel and doppler radar, you can be pretty confident you aren't gonna get soaked if you pick your days carefully. Your co-workers will have a new-found respect when you hang your leather jacket and helmet in the office coat closet.

8) Pop a Wheelie.

(May not be appropriate for all bikes and riders) Not every day, and certainly not when there's traffic or pedestrians about, but a sure test of one's skill and confidence in handling the throttle is twisting it hard enough to get your front wheel off the ground, even if its just a little bit.

9) Ride with a group.

It can be a charity poker run; a guided scenic tour; or just a few folks who meet at a gas station: a group of motorcycles travelling down the road together inspires awe and admiration (and occaisionally fear and loathing ) among pedestrains and car drivers alike. Fun for the rider too.

10) Ride Two-Up

There are few other activities that so completely demonstrate one human being's trust in the skill and judgement of another than riding on the back of his (or her) motorcycle. Sometimes this trust is tragically misplaced. So be careful when doing this!

I'm sure that folks have other suggestions for "Top Ten" items - feel free to add them....

·
Registered
306 Posts
I do or have done 7 of 10, but I sure would like to ride in a parade across the US to attend the Keith Code California Superbike School.
:) maybe one day.

·
Registered
629 Posts
1. Someday, I will. Already done it by car (purely for the joy of it).

2. I will when I can find the money.

3. Eh, maybe.

4. Done it in my car years ago. Definitely a lot of fun. Of course, the embaresment of fouling plugs kinda sucks :D

5. Nobody works on my equipment but me.

6. I haven't in years, but I love it, and agree. Lots of fun can be done with accesories inside the body (I have never needed it).

7. Every day

8. Yeah

9. Charity rides are a great way. Did one last weekend, doing one this weekend.

10. I rode ***** once, not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Fortunately my full face was on so you couldn't see my face :D

·
Registered
130 Posts
Perhaps for us old guys there is another suggested top 10:

1) OK, so I agree with this one, but do it right and stay the hell off the Interstates. I once did 3000 miles with only 10 miles of it Interstate. If the purpose is the ride and not the accomplishment, then actually see the country on the rural roads - the only local flavor ya get onn Interstate is from the billboards.

2) Pay for some new guys visit to the Keith Code California Superbike School so he don't come along and ride up your a$$ at some intersection.

3) Attend a major bike event - only once per event. Be there, do that, get the T-Shirt... then stop polishing your bike to perfection every morning and showing off on Main Street, and go get out on the backroads and enjoy yerself.

4) Pull over and sit on your bike to watch a parade... its tough drinking Budweisers while riding, and you can see all the pretty girls from the curb.

5) Do all the maintenance you can that makes you feel good, but save the 10K for the mechanics... hey, you KNOW you don't really do all the recommended services at 10K yourself anymore...then while the mechanic is doing it right, bullshit with the service writer about how you used to do all of it yerself ...fortunately by now I can just dip into the kid's college fund to finance it, but whaddahell.

6) Bore your kids to death about how daddy (or grandpa as the case may be) used to ride dirt bikes when he was a kid. They'll roll their eyes and ignore you like they do when you tell em the story about how you used to walk to school every day, in the snow, uphill both ways...barefoot....and hungry.

7) My commute consists of pulling on a robe and walking downstairs to the office, so I say blow off work and go for a ride anyway.

8) Pop enough medication to permit you to throw a leg one more time before you have to seriously consider a trike.

9) It's getting harder put fear and admiration into the eyes of the kids nowadays at my age.... usually it is snickering and giggles, so I don't try to act baaaaad-ass anymore... as long as I can get the waitress to bring my coffee without her telling me about how her grandfather used to ride a bike, too... I'll be fine.

10) Riding two-up brings on a whole different concept in my mind and it has nothing to do with motorcycles.

ahhhh, the advantages of age.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Fugly said:
Good post Drew. You left one out though, have sex while on your bike. LoL
Fu(k, I have sex everytime I'm on it!:Dennis

·
Registered
629 Posts
fourhour said:
Fu(k, I have sex everytime I'm on it!:Dennis
So you are that guy in San Fran I saw riding with only chaps on! Dude, cheat on the wife with Mr. Hand in private:eek:

·
Registered
695 Posts
VRodDrew,
They all sound good to me -- I also like (pertaining to #2) Freddie Spencer's High Performance Riding School in Nevada

Thanks for the post

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Oh great, now I'm supposed to pop a wheelie with my Fatboy? Where's the nitrox when ya need it ;)

I have rode wheelies on my Ninja 1100 about ten years ago, but that was ten years too stupid:(

As for riding across America, hell, ride the back rodes of your local community! I went today a new route from my Stealer in Rockville to Thurmont via some new back roads that was amazing. Stopped for lunch in a local "shop" and had a blast talking with the local folks. For only fifty miles away (70 miles via bike) it's amazing how different folks can be!:D

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
1) I agree with Muthuh's view of things except #5

2) Freddie's is a good road race school, but in my opinion Keith Code's and even Reg Pridmore's are more high performance street riding oriented. There are huge differences from race lines to street lines and less experienced riders may not be able to switch from one to the other, unless this gets emphasized over and over. Real easy to get sucked in when confidence borders on overconfidence.

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
Muthuh said:
6)They'll roll their eyes and ignore you like they do when you tell em the story about how you used to walk to school every day, in the snow, uphill both ways...barefoot....and hungry.
Hey, my dad used to tell me that story. You mean it ain't true? :D

·
Registered
629 Posts
****, my did used to go to school in a Corvair, then a Mustang, then a Pontiac, then a Datsun, then a Celica, then another Pontiac.

****, what else?

·
Registered
686 Posts
I really did walk to school and a catholic one at that and I did have to walk through snow but it was only 10 miles one way lol probaly more like 1/4 mile. I thought everyone had a hemi back then. I would like to go on one of those off road tours, I read about one in Baja, I can't recall the name of the outfit but it was quite a few miles and you stopped at places and ate the local food etc. I just don't know if I am in good enough shape to do it, from what I read it sounds like they start out slow and than start really blasting, it would be fun.

·
Registered
629 Posts
****, I bring the front wheel up at least once a day. Not always on purpose :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts