V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Administrator
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

'I've been everywhere, man; I've been everywhere, man; across the deserts bare, man; I've breathed the mountain air, man; of travel I've had my share, man; I've been everywhere.' —Johnny Cash

Even for Johnny Cash, it would be a mighty feat to ride America's 3.9 million miles of highways, byways, avenues and alleys to get, as the song says, "everywhere." Although sometimes it may feel like we've traveled every road worth a ride, the biker DNA bubbling in our blood tells us there is, somewhere, the spectacular road not taken.

Not that we haven't tried to ride everywhere. Aside from a few heated water-cooler debates, varying levels of certifiable psychosis, polite differences of opinion and immeasurable variables of riding style, the staff at Motorcycle.com carefully considered its 300 or so years of collective biking experience and named these the Top 10 touring roads in the U.S., although no peaceable agreement could be made as to order, except for the fistfight averting alphabetical.

Print this, stuff it in your leather shirt, get off the couch and on your bike, and find some adventure.

More: Top 10 Best Motorcycling Touring Roads on Motorcycle.com

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Not sure you can arbitrarily pick ten best roads. Funny, no mention of 12 in Idaho/Montana or 21 in Idaho, or 299 in California, or the North Cascades Highway. I haven't been on most of the roads in their list but doubt they are "best" compared to some of the ones above. I'm sure they're spectacular though.

·
Doof! There it is.....
1,027 Posts
Off the top of my head, 123, 21, and 16 are all better roads in Arkansas than the horribly overrated Pig Trail (23). Similarly, though the Natchez Trace is a pleasant, relaxing ride, it's a 50mph 2-lane with utterly nothing challenging to ride or interesting to look at.

66 between Kingman and Seligman is arguably one of the coolest rides there is.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
How bout
Chief Josephs trail to Beartooth highway.
Needles
Blue ridge hwy
Holobach ... You picked three of my favorite rides ... and Guydoc77 .. I second your pick of 12 in Montana and Idaho ... Ride on Brothers !!!

·
HATER OF THE GRAVEL!!!!!!
5,761 Posts
Washington state route 14 through the Columbia Gorge.
Oregon Hwy 199 (The Redwood hwy).
Hwy 101.......just about anywhere in it north of Eureka.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Not in NY

Did RT 47 this weekend, figured I'd give it a try. :-(

There's no real wow factor. Loose gravel and poor road conditions make this road challenging for beginers. The only real treat is the waterfall and stream.

Better roads in the region would be RT 52, 55, 55A, 28 and 97 along the Deleware River.

Just my .02 cents worth.

Actually, that photo isn't even of RT47, it's a scam...

·
Registered
4 Posts
In Arkansas, 12 around the south side of Beaver Lake is nice and twisty.

In AZ, Phoenix to Showlow on 60 is really a great ride if you aren't afraid of heights.
I also like 85 from Gila Bend to Ajo - Just carry extra underwear for when the fighter jets fly low across the road to hit the training target's. Top off whenever you see fuel out here though...

93 to Eureka MT is a beautiful drive, and you get to drive it twice if you want to stay in the US.

Hwy 1 from Daytona to Key West is a great ride BUT watch out for Blue Hair's

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,319 Posts
Off the top of my head, 123, 21, and 16 are all better roads in Arkansas than the horribly overrated Pig Trail (23). Similarly, though the Natchez Trace is a pleasant, relaxing ride, it's a 50mph 2-lane with utterly nothing challenging to ride or interesting to look at.

66 between Kingman and Seligman is arguably one of the coolest rides there is.

This touches on my reaction. It depends on what you're in to. I'm not a peg dragger, and don't enjoy having to wonder what's coming up because I can't see around tight curves.

I like rolling hills and gentle curves in rural areas where I can relax and look around.

joe

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
Never would have guessed Rte 201 in Maine would make the top 10 list...funny because I grew up right in the middle of it but never had a cycle til after highschool when I moved well south from Bingham to Portland. It is a beautiful stretch of twisty, hilly highway through nothing but forest, lakes, streams. Goes thru places like Moscow, Caratunk, The Forks, Jackman...not a lot of 2 legged critters up there but it is a very popular whitewater rafting, hunting, fishing and snowmobiling area. I've been further South in CT for years and never get up that far North but I've always wanted to do that ride on the scoot.

·
Retired TMCM(SS)
539 Posts
This touches on my reaction. It depends on what you're in to. I'm not a peg dragger, and don't enjoy having to wonder what's coming up because I can't see around tight curves.

I like rolling hills and gentle curves in rural areas where I can relax and look around.

joe
I'm with you.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'm not a peg dragger, and don't enjoy having to wonder what's coming up because I can't see around tight curves.
Thats my kind of riding too. @gree:

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
"Doctor Dee" and "Wind" ....Head to North Carolina and ride the Cherohala Skyway and give it a try ... great pavement ... smoother curves .... minimal traffic .... a really great ride!

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
I don't know how anyone could pick the 10 best roads. No mention of North Carolina / Tennessee Roads. I think we should just share awesome roads with each other and judge for ourselves. Otherwise I find myself saying now I need to go here or there and just dont have enough time.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I don't know how anyone could pick the 10 best roads. No mention of North Carolina / Tennessee Roads. I think we should just share awesome roads with each other and judge for ourselves. Otherwise I find myself saying now I need to go here or there and just dont have enough time.
Heh...like the Top Gear episode where they found the best road in the world over in Europe and someone sent them a letter telling them it was actually the Blue Ridge Parkway. They got over there with these $100,000+ cars and were stuck doing 25mph and 35mph because of the speed limits. :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
We used to...

We used to have great touring roads in Vermont. Now.... be careful you could ride off a fall straight into our many rivers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Roads

Try North central,northwest Arkansas,Mountain View,Mountain Home,Rogers. Eureka Springs,...South central & south west Missouri.. I think you would love to ride here....Lots of nice and friendly People in this area...:clap:

·
Banned
589 Posts
Top Ten Motorcycle Touring Roads ???

The ONE YOU'RE ON. :clap:

I'm thinking really hard if I've ever been on the highway and saying to myself, "Jeez! This route totally sux!"

:redrolf:

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
About this Discussion
80 Replies
75 Participants
daveh221
V-Twin Forum
V-Twin Harley Davidson forum. Discussion on V-Twin Harley Davidson motorcycles including Dyna, Electra Glide, Softail, Sportster, and more.
Full Forum Listing