V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Banned
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the Electra Glide Classic come with a tool kit in the bike? If so, is it any good, I wonder if someone can post a picture of it:)

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
No tool kit of any type comes with either bike. They are an accessory available at your local motorclothes and chrome store.

·
Banned
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you fcoxwell, well, looks like another thing to buy for the bike:)

·
Registered
75 Posts
The RoadGlide came with a kit, one of the screwdrivers is sort of nice, but the rest of the tools are such cheap junk that it would likely only be good to ruin fasteners. You can use the pouch they came in to make your own collection of cheap road tools.

·
Banned
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was on Harleys web site to check out some of their tool kits, one was 190 bucks:eek: part # 94684-00 for that price you would thing that it would be good.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The kits they sell are from Cruz tools, very overpriced for what you get and not the same that comes on the bike.
If you want a reasonably priced tool kit that isn't too bad do a search for "Windzone". May have to add tools or motorcycle tools to the Google search.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
For that kind of money you can get a hell of a tool kit from Sears.
Snap-On has a special Harley licensed tool kit but is HIGH priced.
Windzone and Cruz tools have harley engine model specific tool kits that are available from most of the internet parts sellers. These tools kits are for carrying on the bike! If you are going to do your own work and maintenance at home you want to invest in a more complete set of high quality tools.

·
Banned
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The part # I gave was a Snap On tool kit made for Harley, like I said, for that money, it better be a good one.

·
Registered
21 Posts
A tool kit came with my Ultra Classic, but the quality was questionable. Although I had a nice assortment of tools at home I didn't want to break up the set. So, I ended up going to Sears and put together a nice assortment of Craftsman replacements (using the same tool pouch). Go by the dealer and have them show you an example. Write down the wrench, hex, and Torx (sp?) sizes, then go to Sears and buy the replacements. You'll end up getting a nice set for about $50.

By the way, originally I wanted to buy an Electraglide Classic, but when I looked into it, I found that the Ultra Classic was only about $1800 more. I checked the cost of upgrading a Classic to an Ultra (with over the counter parts) and found it would take approx. $4,500 to make them the same. The Ultra has a lot of extras that are not on the Classic or on the Road King. You might want to consider a third option and go for the Ultra. The good thing is, if there is something you don't like about the Ultra, you can take it off. But, if it's not there originally, it costs a fortune to add it............

Just a thought, Ride Safe :p

·
Banned
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you mewalker, yes, I have thought about the Ultra Classic but I don't think that I needed a CB radio or a intercom system. The lowers, I would only use them from October to Novenber, then it's time to put it up for the winter:(

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
I had originally went to pick up a 2002 Electra Classic and they had an Ultra also and I went with the Ultra. Like mewalker said you can always take it off. I love the look of the Ultra with the lowers and without the top box.

I have taken the lowers off for the summer, but there is a lot of stuff you can put in the top box (like helmets, groceries, stuff from Home Depot, etc.) that won't fit in the saddlebags. I don't use the CB or the intercom but they are there if I need them.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Any ideas on where to buy just the roll up pouch, w/o tools? I'm pretty sure i saw this advertised once, but can't seem to remember where. I've got enough duplicate crqaftman tool, etal to make up a nice tool kit, just nothing to put them in. greg

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I think the guy up at the Songdog Ranch makes a good tool pouch, or at least he did at one time.
Nice ride up there anyway.

·
Banned
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Back in 1987 I had a 750 Kawasaki that I put some tools together, I used a shaving pouch, worked pritty good, was just the right size. Space was limited on a bike like that. Now, with a dresser, I can splurge;)

·
Registered
695 Posts
I learned (found out) that my bike isn't going to have a tool kit either then I checked out the tool kits that the MOCO / Stealer had for sell -- Damn, are they making a profit?

I agree with fcoxwell -- the tool kit I put together will be 10 times better and much cheaper -- I still think it's piss poor that a tool kit doesn't come with the bike.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Markuda,

I agree with mewalker, It's kinda fun shopping for tools at Sears. I got a set of Gear wrenches from Sears and love 'em, then a set of toryx and allen wrenches from Auto Zone. I used all these tools to install my fan kit and found the gear wrenches especially handy., but pricey.

John

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Stingray said:
If you still want a picture, I'll lay mine out on the garage floor and have it up for you.
:eek: :eek: :eek:

You are talking about your toolkit right?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
found 2 tool pouches (most of what i found were the leather fork bags, I just wanted the roll up pouch (w/o tools) for the saddlebags. Helen2wheels.com has one as does motorcycleUSA.com (bagman universal tool pouch). $15, and $13. greg

·
Banned
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well guys, thank you for all the repies:) I think what I will do is after I get the bike, I will see what I will need in tools the most of, then go to Sears and start collecting:cool: The Ultra come with a toolkit but, I here it is a lot to be desired:eek:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts