V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Just about lost my front brake on a 1989 springer softail.
Riding with a buddy, looked down and saw the bolts backed way out top and bottom.Lost the castle nut and cotter pin on the top.Pulled over real quick and surveyed the mess

My bud happened to have a great set of tools and loctite and even 12 pointers.

My kit looked like a toddlers playskool set.

Any pointers as to what is a must need for a limited amount of space in my tool bag.

Mike

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
19springer89 said:
..... Any pointers as to what is a must need for a limited amount of space in my tool bag. .....
Welcome to the Forum.

I usually do all my periodic maintenance work using the only tools in my tool bag. That way you will most likely have those tools you need for the "non scheduled" stuff.

The HD 8 in 1 screwdriver is nice (pn 94669-00) as it has useful torx bits. The standard or fancy tool kits Harley sells are a great place to start even if they are a bit pricey.

Do one of those periodic service requirement "tightness of every nut and bolt" exercises. That will give you a good indication of what you need.

Don't forget the common tasks like tensioning the primary chain, setting clutch engagement or adjusting the secondary belt. You may want to carry those tools.

I saved space and weight by welding together a single long wrench with box ends with 3/4" and 15/16" in case I needed to tighten/loosen the axles.

I carry a tire repair kit (plugs) and a small 12v electric air compressor. The tire repair material and air compressor, with hose, fits in a case 8" by 5" by 2" thick.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Check out windzone tool kits. Don't have to buy it but note whats in there. Esepcially sizes.

I carry wrenches, sockets, allens, torq, screw driver, needlenose pliers, crescent wrench, vice grips, tie wraps, elec tape. I also got a few differant sizes of bolts, nuts and washers.

If I use the tool while working on my bike I usually carry it. I also have socket of t27.

Minimag, leatherman. Wire nuts.

Don't just think of repair, think of rigging stuff up. Thats why I got nuts and bolts.

To save room look for wrenches that have a differant size on each end.

Alot of guys will say a cell phone. Well I would hate to be stock waiting for hours, or morning, for something I could have done. On long trips I carry shop manual.

If you don't have room for a shop manual make copies of elec schematics. I did this with a 11x17 copier, works great.

It may seem like over kill, and I have not used it all, but you will be glad you have it when you do. I've done a few road side repairs.

Old spark plug. No they don't foul, but I had one blow out, threads were buggered after that.

Also hose clamps for fuel and oil lines. I also carry hose, ends duct taped.

Long trips I carry quart of oil. Tape cap on and put in plastic bag.

If you can't tell I have a bagger.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
For $60 windzone kit is not a bad deal. Depends on what you got in the garage already. Though wuld be nice to have 2nd kit. I worry will take something out of saddlebag and forget to put back.

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
Krayven Sumhead said:
I bought one of these for my sporty but started carrying it on my E-Glide instead. These are well made and include lots of stuff. The tool-roll slides into a carrying bag. Lifetime warranty
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Windzone-EK-1HD-Tool-Kit-Tools-for-Harley-Davidson_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35557QQitemZ4620488658QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

I've got this same Windzone kit. Well worth the money and I paid $20.00 more. Its nice to know I can handle most anything that pops up without having to rob from my home tool set.

I haven't really had to use it except when I ride with my brother in law...who's still riding a shovel head FLH.:clap:

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Carry as much stuff as you fit.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I carry a tool kit that I made up from tools that are common to my bike.. I have an HD 8 in 1 screwdriver, end wrenches from 3/8' to 5/8" and sockets and ratchet in the same sizes. I also have a 3/4" socket as that is the size for older oil and transmission drain plugs. I have a small pair of channel locks, a small pair of vise grips and allen wrenches. Don't forget a 12 point 10mm socket or wrench for the front brake calipers and battery. All of these tools fit into a bag that I made from some scrap leather. When rolled up the bundle is about 3"x9".

In addition I have a small funnel, an oil filter wrench, wire ties, and a small flashlight.

All of the tools are name brand that I got at the local pawn shop for about 1/3 the price of new.

Regards,

Bill

·
it wasn't me
340 Posts
berserker said:
Check out windzone tool kits. Don't have to buy it but note whats in there. Esepcially sizes.

I carry wrenches, sockets, allens, torq, screw driver, needlenose pliers, crescent wrench, vice grips, tie wraps, elec tape. I also got a few differant sizes of bolts, nuts and washers.

If I use the tool while working on my bike I usually carry it. I also have socket of t27.

Don't just think of repair, think of rigging stuff up. Thats why I got nuts and bolts.

Alot of guys will say a cell phone. Well I would hate to be stock waiting for hours, or morning, for something I could have done. On long trips I carry shop manual.

If you don't have room for a shop manual make copies of elec schematics. I did this with a 11x17 copier, works great.

It may seem like over kill, and I have not used it all, but you will be glad you have it when you do. I've done a few road side repairs.

Old spark plug. No they don't foul, but I had one blow out, threads were buggered after that.

The extra nuts and bolts are crucial I think. If your cruising and a bolt goes on you, you're not gonna find it. If my buddy didn't have that single bolt in his bag today, I'd have been in a jam. I lost my air cleaner assembly becuase the two bolts came loose. We bolted her back on good enough to get me to the next shop. I fixed her up and got a few extras for the kit.

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
berserker said:

Sounds like you got a toolbox mounted to the back of that sled.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Fatb0y said:
Sounds like you got a toolbox mounted to the back of that sled.
Pretty much so. I hope I never have to use. Grew up with old junkers. Also spent some time running bush trucks. No not a race, but just old trucks in the woods.

I also do a bit of cross country. Stuff doesn't break 9-5 in the city limits.

·
Living for the ride
1,351 Posts
You can also run down to sears&rareback and look at their motorcycle tool kit. Its not too bad, you will have to add some choice tools but it is a start and you can get it right now. Not wait on shipping. Just my -2$en#e-
Be Safe

1 - 15 of 15 Posts