V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Jack ***
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Blew off of work today and went for a ride. It was a beautiful fall day, temp was mid 60's, I headed out across western NJ and into PA.

Besides cars and bikes, I have always loved trains, so today I followed the old Lackawanna Railroad main line across the Pocono Mtns from the Delaware river to Scranton. It was cloudy in the Pocono's so some of the pics are a lil dark but... It was a great, GREAT day!!!!!!

Delaware Water Gap. NJ on right, PA on left:

Delaware river:

A brook I crossed:

A restored train station in Cresco PA:

Freight train passing an old switching tower:

I 380:

Scranton PA train station Now a hotel:

I stopped by the Steamtown National Historic site where they have a bunch of old steam locomotives.

One from the Reading RR (from the Monopoly game)

This one if from the Grand Trunk Railroad. Remember the band Grand Funk Railroad? This is where they got their name from:

This last one is a Union Pacific "Big Boy" These were the biggest steam locomotives ever built. They were basically two locomotives made into one. The lower part where the wheels are actually articulates like a semi truck so they could go around turns. These made 7,000 HP:

Hope yall like the pics.

Reactions: The_Snowman

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
Nice pics...been in that are but never in the fall...nice bike too. (I have a Springer too, figures I'd like it)

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Those are excellent shots. I like the steam loco's!!! :thumbsup:

·
HOGDOG
906 Posts
Nice photos of the locos, thanks for sharing. Somehow I think there is another hobby or interest lurking? Model trains? I wonder how many HD enthusiasts also have a place in their heart for model trains or railroading in general? Planes, trains, automobiles and Harleys?

·
Who, me?
434 Posts
Mike,

Thanks for the pics. The Henry Ford Museum up here has an Allegheny as well (although it's indoors). She leaks so much oil that they're constantly cleaning up after her. They're an amazing exhibition of articulated locomotives. It's hard to believe that those things were running up and down the mountains. Wow.

You made some great pics w/ your bike. It looks like a sweet ride.

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Mikedc,

There are lots of great scenery and windy roads up there by the Gap. I take the bike up to my place in the Poconos and always love the ride. The only bad thing about up there is sometimes having to take rte 80 or rte 84 and getting blown all over the road. I'm glad somebody is posting a pic of Jersey that doesn't have a corpse or a factory in it.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
deucedog said:
... I wonder how many HD enthusiasts also have a place in their heart for model trains or railroading in general? Planes, trains, automobiles and Harleys?
:yes: I'm guilty. If it make horsepower, I like it.

·
Who, me?
434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deucedog
... I wonder how many HD enthusiasts also have a place in their heart for model trains or railroading in general? Planes, trains, automobiles and Harleys?

I'm guilty. If it make horsepower, I like it.
Me too. I have a 6' x 15' layout in my basement right now. It's a steam-era based layout. Not a whole lot of time put into it lately, too busy riding.

They definitely (the real thing) impress the heck ou of me.

·
Forgetter of Things
2,657 Posts
deucedog said:
Nice photos of the locos, thanks for sharing.
I agree...looks like you had a great day

Somehow I think there is another hobby or interest lurking? Model trains? I wonder how many HD enthusiasts also have a place in their heart for model trains or railroading in general? Planes, trains, automobiles and Harleys?
I had a multilevel train layout, about 12' x 24', that took almost 3 months for me and my Dad to set up every year, starting in Oct. so it was ready for the Christmas Holidays...lights in all buildings, etc.
Thanks for bringing back those memories...

A friend that i work with's father has a pole building with a train layout that's a replica of someplace in Maryland...doesn't really show it to anyone, but i heard it's all hand built(he's a carpenter), no plastic.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Great pics, thanks. Looks like it was an awesome ride.

I used to ride the deserted Lackawana railroad tracks from the Ledgewood circle in NJ all the way to the main terminal in PA on my dirtbikes. Great scenery up there and a lot a wildlife.

Thanks for the locations on the pics, now I'll have a new ride to do.

·
Who, me?
434 Posts
Vator, is your layout a DCC type? It's amazing the kinf of technology that's run through the rails nowadays.

I am not surpised to see the music-media technologies hitting the cycle market (mostly for the touring demographic). When will the lamps require only wires for power (all controls being wireless)?

·
Forgetter of Things
2,657 Posts
Low_Rider said:
Vator, is your layout a DCC type? It's amazing the kinf of technology that's run through the rails nowadays.
I don't think they even had the word "digital" back then...that was probably late '50's - early '60's:yikes: ...but i still have most of the trains, slot cars, plasticville, etc. in the attic

·
Who, me?
434 Posts
I got a bunch of that stuff too. I always admired the guys (and gals) who lay their own track (literally). I just never had the time and patience to do it, especially when they came out with that flex-track stuff.

My layout is gathering dust. I was thinking of putting more time into it, but I am heading up to a swap meet in Birch Run, MI this weekend. I am thinking of starting a hobby bike.

·
Retired and loving it!
1,009 Posts
Great pictures, especially of the brook, reminds me of the Great Smokey Mountains.:thanks:

·
Registered
479 Posts
Thanks for the great pictures. And as a railfan, I appreciate the locos.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts