V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a 1990 Electra Glide Classic. It has 92K miles including 6K on a Factory re-manufactured motor. Normally I wouldn't be interested because of the miles, but I can probably trade my bike (even trade - no cash) and save the hassles of selling it.

Is this too many miles to consider? I am looking for something for 2-up comfort but really don't want put out any cash right now. I have only been putting on about 4-5K miles per year the last couple years so it probably won't get a lot of miles in the next couple years. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Your stated that the factory rebuilt the motor and that job has 6K on it. Here are some questions/items I would consider if it was me:

1. Are you buying from and individual or dealer? If it is from a dealer, then contact the former owner on your own and find out what the story is behind the bike being up for adoption.

2. How are the tranny, shocks, electrics, and frame looking? You may need to take the bike for a long test ride and stop at an Indy to go over the bike.

That is just a couple of things off the top of my head. Some EVOs leak oil after time so take a q-tip and check down between the jugs. I know that the motor was just rebuilt, but there is always the chance that something did not seat properly.

All old bikes have a story and most have problems. But we as true riders must learn to correct those problems. I personally have more respect for an older bike out on the road than someone that spends a butt load of money on a new toy and trinkets.

Good luck either way you go on this one.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts