V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, simple and to the point. I'm 6' and 210 lbs......am I too big for a Sportster?...I love em, but want to be comfortable too......I'm probably NEVER gonna ride more than 200 miles in one day..is this bike OK for weekend get-aways?....BTW, I just sold my ElectraGlide cos it wasn't FUN to ride anymore....I have a buddy with a 1200 Sportster, which I rode for a short distance, and LOVED it........give it to me straight....I'm a big boy, and I can take it.....also, 883 or 1200

·
Registered
55 Posts
HD4EVR, I'd say either go with the 1200S or (if you are worried that the Sportster might be too small) get an FXDX or FXDXT. You will enjoy either bike. Have fun. Did you get tired of the flaming on Cycleworld?

·
Registered
102 Posts
HD4EVR,

One of the GREATEST aspects of Harleys is that they are almost INFINITELY customizable.
I realize the BT's seem to have more goodies available than Sportys,
but there is no shortage of STUFF for them.
Ask TwinCamzz; he & his SO DECKED-OUT an 883 for her, then she decided to go back to her starter bike (a Rebel if I recall), and he has started re-customizing the 883 into a little hot-rod.
Many others on this board have turned their Sportys into some very personal statements.
If you sold a bagger & want a 4-cam you should have some spare dinero to play with.
I'm VERY uncomfortable on Distantstorm's Hugger, which she has kept basically stock so far (it works for her).
I'm 6'3" and go close to 3C's.
Even my Willie G, that I've ridden for the last 18 yrs & is pretty much a Shovel/4speed Wide-Glide with factory goodies, has always felt a bit short in the extended leg dept.
After all these yrs, I just found some offset peg extention brackets & over-lengthed OEM-style pegs.
Ordered them yesterday; will posts comfort results.
Bottom line; if you enjoyed your bro's ride enough to sell yours, buy one & MAKE it your own.
Just my $0.08 or $0.10 worth.
bear

·
Registered
380 Posts
Hey HD4EVR take a look at a DYNA Super GLide for the money it is the best buy Harley has. put a set of forward controls on and a big windshield and away you go. if you like a sporty you will love a Dyna.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
VTwin....no, didn't get tired of CW forum, just discovered this one, and dropped in for awhile.....to the rest of you guys...thank you for your input....bought a Sportster 1200 Custom, Thunderheader, Mikuni HSR42 Carb, SE air cleaner, and detachable windshield.....kinda all I really need, and I'm good with it...plenty of power, even 2 up (which is rarely).....as far as the SuperGlide...well, 2 kids in college at the same time limits funds, which is one reason I chose to buy a Sportster. Just wondered what everyone thought of my size/weight for the Sportster.

·
Registered
659 Posts
personal decision - personally I wouldn't be able to trade back down to a sportster - if I was going to downgrade I'd probably look at the dyna - if you go with the sportster and do any highway miles, look at the 1200

·
Ridin' & Glidin'
2,116 Posts
I regret--->

selling my old 87' 1100cc. :(

Had more fun on that bike than anything I ever owned.

Had to sell it for something more comfortable for 2-up long trip riding.

I am 5'9" @ 210 and never felt to big for it.
(see attached image)
I would not recommend it for long distance rides or anything smaller than 1200cc's though. :cool:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts