V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, simple and to the point. I'm 6' and 210 lbs......am I too big for a Sportster?...I love em, but want to be comfortable too......I'm probably NEVER gonna ride more than 200 miles in one day..is this bike OK for weekend get-aways?....BTW, I just sold my ElectraGlide cos it wasn't FUN to ride anymore....I have a buddy with a 1200 Sportster, which I rode for a short distance, and LOVED it........give it to me straight....I'm a big boy, and I can take it.....also, 883 or 1200?

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
I think you just answered yourself. You rode your buddy's sporty and loved it.
Go with the 1200. Have fun and post a pic when you get it:)

wyo

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
I just went from a '03 1200S to a '03 FXD because of comfort. Having said that, I really did enjoy my Sportster. If you decide on a Sporty, I'd recommend a 1200S, Mustang Sport Touring seat and highway pegs. I think the 1200S is the best of the group, but then other folks like other models just as much. I'm 6-0, 215.

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
Here Shirley, I'll put my $.02 on the bar. I'm 6'1" and about 200. Rode a Sporty back a few years ago and really liked it but wanted a little more comfort. Bought a '96 FXDL LowRider (in '96) w/forward controls and love it. Maybe it's not a quick as the Sporty but close and still gives me the look and ride I want. Just bought an '02 FLHTCUI "UltraGezzer" for those long trips and use the LowRider for a grocery getter.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Friend of mine is 6'5", 250lbs.
Put 45,000 miles on his sporty before moving up to a FLH!

Forget getting a sportster, why not a M2 Buell? They are less $$$ and far more fun.

·
Riding yr rnd in sunny FL
309 Posts
I'm 6'2" 180 lb and love my 883 Sporty. It has plenty of power for a single rider, but if I was going to double a lot, the 1200 would be better.

·
Registered
351 Posts
If comfort is your desire... Then change seats etc but if you are concerned about how big you think you are going to look on a Sportster sized bike the I recommend a Sportbob style rear fender.... I just put the Harley Sportbob fender on my bike and have received several comments on how much better the bike looks! comments like " Wow that fender makes the bike unique" and "The bike looks longer and bigger with that type fender" and "Who would have thought a Sportbob'ed fender would make so much difference in making the bike long so sleek".... Just some thought for you if you go with the Sportster for size, looks and how you feel about it...

·
Registered
331 Posts
I'm 6'1" and 210lbs. I purchased my XL883C in December. I'm very happy with it! I went the 883 route because the insurance was cheaper and I plan to perform the 1200 upgrade. It's perfect for the short rides.:cool:

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
Do what my brother did. Go with a black plain jane Sportster. He bought one. Built motor - Buell heads, SE ignition, Andrews cams, and on and on. He got a 95 h.p. Sportster that rips.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm 6'1" and 210 lbs..... My sporty with the big seat and forwards does just fine...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts