V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This article from this mornings paper (although the names and addreses are listed in the orginal story, I chose to just use their first names and not use their house numbers):

Headline:
Two motorcyclists were hurt, one critically, when one hit the other late Saturday afternoon on Interstate 81 in Cicero.

Sheriff's deputies closed I-81's northbound lane between Cicero and Brewerton for about two hours after the crash.

Deputies said witnesses reported seeing Malcolm XXXX, 35, of xxxxx Sumac Circle, Central Square, riding his 2000 Harley-Davidson north on I-81 at a high speed, weaving in and out of traffic.

Near Exit 31, Malcolum's motorcycle struck the rear of a motorcycle operated by Eric B. XXXXXX, 26, of xxxxx Homeland Road, North Syracuse, deputies said.

Eric XXXXXX was leaving the highway at Brewerton. The two were not traveling together.

Both motorcycles fell over, deputies said, and Malcom XXXX slid into a pickup truck operated by Karl A. XXXXX, 30, of XXXX Pangborn Road, Hastings.

Malcolm XXXX was flown by helicopter to University Hospital in Syracuse with multiple trauma injuries, deputies said. He was in critical condition late Saturday, a nursing supervisor said.

Eric was treated at the scene for minor injuries.

Copy right :
September 08, 2002
Jim Reilly
Staff writer
The Syracuse Newspapers

For those not familiar with the territory, it's about 20 miles north of Syracuse, NY on the Route 81 (Pennsylvania-Canadian Expressway.)
In this area it's a 6 lane highway, 3 in each direction, with usually only moderate traffic, which I understand was closed for 2 hrs. due to this "accident." I will post a follow up once the actual facts of this story are released.

·
Registered
22,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
More of the same

Two Killed in Motorcycle Crash

Syracuse, New York, Monday, September 16, 2002 - Two people were killed in a crash in Rome late Sunday night.

According to the Oneida County Sheriff’s Department, Edward xxx, of Rome, was killed when his motorcycle crashed into another vehicle on Route 69. Ursula xxx, a passenger on the motorcycle, was taken to the hospital with serious injuries and later died from those injuries. The driver of the other vehicle, 17-year-old Jacob xxxxxx, was ticketed for not yielding the right of way

·
Registered
130 Posts
According to the NHTSA, 53% of the motorcyclists killed out there were wearing a helmet. http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pdf/nrd-30/NCSA/Rpts/2001/809-271.pdf page 4

(5 pound weights strapped to their necks maybe?)

and over the past 10 yrs, fatalities involving helmet use have INCREASED by 10% over those not wearing a helmet. Hey - I dunno - this is your government talking here.

They go on to mention that 90% of the motor vehicle fatalities are as a result of driving or riding in a car... these bike-related reports are sad and unfortunate, and hopefully point out the need to be careful, but the sky is not falling out there... in my experience the vast majority of bike accidents are due to speed, alcohol or testosterone. Any undue exess in any of the above only helps thin out the gene pool. Damned shame when a true accident happens though, but as far as the helmet thing goes - the government points out to us that more helmeted riders die than unhelmeted.

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
As I have said before I'll take avoiding accidents to safety equipment anyday. Always have an escape route, know what those around you are doing, use your mirrors constantly, drive as if you are invisible!!

Muthuh,

I've visited your site and I love riding in your part of the country, blue ridge parkway, klingmans dome, lake lure, deals gap are some of my favorite rides. I have a couple of friends who live in Spartanburg SC and they have shown me some of the beauty your part of the country has.

·
Registered
22,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Muthuh said:
. in my experience the vast majority of bike accidents are due to speed, alcohol or testosterone.
In my experience the vast majority of EVERY event is due to speed, alcohol AND / or testosterone.

I also firmly believe that in the event of a collision between a skateboarder and a biker at less than 4 miles an hour, both the motocyclist AND the skateboarder have a much better chance of not having a head injury if they both have helmets on. The skateboarder as a result of the collision and the biker becuause he has a better chance of survival after the skateboarder beats shi* out him.

·
Registered
130 Posts
DJW said:

and the biker becuause he has a better chance of survival after the skateboarder beats shi* out him.
I was gonna say something like "Must be some pu$$y bikers up there in New York", but thought better of it... then maybe "The biker can use his helmet to pound the skateboard deeper into the skateboarders a$$", but didn't wanna stir up anymore crap that I need to as a new guy in here... so.... as Emily Litella would say...... nevermind.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts