V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what are the thoughts or formulas regarding running lower octane gas and a freer flowing airfilter.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,694 Posts
kelly said:
what are the thoughts or formulas regarding running lower octane gas and a freer flowing airfilter.

If your motor will run on lower octane without pinging etc. then have at it!



{salute( :spank: {salute(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
772 Posts
kelly

kelly said:
what are the thoughts or formulas regarding running lower octane gas and a freer flowing airfilter.

Provided you are speaking about a stock engine. I don't see any relation of lower restricted air filter versus lower octane. Use what the owners manual calls for. No offense, but a friggen air filter only modification isn't gonna do a dam thing for performance. Nor would it be prudent to operate your engine on a lesser then required octane requirement. Now go do the right thing.. and ride..{salute(
 

·
The Anti-RUB
Joined
·
1,901 Posts
Roadie said:

Provided you are speaking about a stock engine. I don't see any relation of lower restricted air filter versus lower octane. Use what the owners manual calls for. No offense, but a friggen air filter only modification isn't gonna do a dam thing for performance. Nor would it be prudent to operate your engine on a lesser then required octane requirement.
@gree: @gree: A high flow air filter doesn't change the octane requirements for the motor.
 

·
Colorado crusin'
Joined
·
268 Posts
About lower octane rating. A local indy told me I could reduce the pinging on my bike by going to a lower octane gas. He said at our altitude (6000') 91 octane isn't needed.
This is counter to everything I have heard. What's up with that?
 

·
XLIII
Joined
·
10,078 Posts
NewHawk said:
About lower octane rating. A local indy told me I could reduce the pinging on my bike by going to a lower octane gas. He said at our altitude (6000') 91 octane isn't needed.
This is counter to everything I have heard. What's up with that?
He's an idiot.
 

·
FOG
Joined
·
6,970 Posts
MegaGlide said:
He's an idiot.

Not necessarily....he might be right. All unleaded pump gas is the same with different additive packages for different purposes. One of the additives is to retard the burn rate of the gasoline....that increases octane. Octane is only a measurement of a fuel's ability to resist detonation (pinging). Regular grade pump gas burns at a faster rate than does premium, thus a lower octane rating. At relatively high altitude, a faster burn rate might be just the thing....I don't know.

I do know that if I run regular in the cooler months, I have no problem. I run premium in the hotter months. I've read (don't know where) that to an extent, the freshness of unleaded pump gas is more important than the octane rating. Regular grade is almost always fresher gas than is premium because so much more of it is used and it's stored much less time.

Edit: I just did a search on "lower octane at high altitude." There are some interesting articles that indicate lower octane might be appropriate at higher altitudes.
 

·
Colorado crusin'
Joined
·
268 Posts
Thanks trooper, I guess it wouldn't hurt to try a tank or two now that there is some backing up the story.
 

·
FOG
Joined
·
6,970 Posts
NewHawk said:
Thanks trooper, I guess it wouldn't hurt to try a tank or two now that there is some backing up the story.
I'm certainly no expert....just a little personal experience and what I read online (and we all know that gotta be correct). My opinion isn't any better than anybody else's opinion. Good luck....please post how it works out for you.

Mega.....you're hardly an idiot. I just Googled first. :laugh:
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top