V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I'm beating a horse that has long been dead, but I'm looking for experiences riders have had using synthetic oil. I use synthetic in every engine I own, and that includes the lawnmower. Not once have I had a bad experience with it. The oil i use is Amsoil.

Now the $64 questions:

­• Has anyone had trouble getting warrenty work done using synthetics?
• How did you handle the service checks when oil changes were due if
you are currently using synthetic oil?
­• What does your local deal say about using synthetic?
­• What effects have you noticed using synthetics?
­• How often do you change the oil?

I want to put synthetic in my bike because I know it is a better oil. I have the extended warrenty on the bike and don't want to put up with fighting the dealer on warrenty work because it does not have a HD label on it.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
• Has anyone had trouble getting warrenty work done using synthetics?
• How did you handle the service checks when oil changes were due if
you are currently using synthetic oil?
­• What does your local deal say about using synthetic?
­• What effects have you noticed using synthetics?
­• How often do you change the oil?
No, I don't have warranty work done, and if I did I assure you in my case it would not be an issue.

I change the oil.

No idea, never asked them and don't particularly care what they say.

Runs smoother and cooler.

Engine and primary about 3K usually but have gone 7K on trips before (I don't change oil on trips, one of the reasons I run it), gearbox once a year at most.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Recently during a trip the bike developed a major primary/gearbox noise. Stopped at a dealer and they knew I was running the synth stuff and would have torn it down regardless.

It would have meant losing 4 days on the road if there were no complications. I limped the bike home for over 1000 miles. Took me about an hour to weld up and retap the housing. I'm pretty convinced the bike made it in part to the superior lubricant.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I use Amsoil 20W-50 V-Twin Synthetic. Harley does not have warranty issues when you are using synthetic oil of the proper grade. My dealer sells Mobil-1 synth. I have read numerous articles detailing the advantages of using synthetic over petroleum-based oil. The bike does run cooler and I use synthetic in everything that uses oil. I change oil at recommended intervals because you change the oil to remove the dirt in the oil - not because the oil has broken down. My car has 233K miles on it after using synth oil and is still running strong. I'm waiting for my car to die so I can get a new one... Come to think of it, maybe I should be using crap oil so I can get a new car and motorcycle more often! Thats all I gotta say 'bout that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts