V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't owned a Sportster in a long, long time. Hint: The last Sportster I owned was 1000cc. That was a long, long, time ago when dinosaurs roamed the earth and I was a young man.

Now I'm 5"9" and 200 pounds.

Have a 2006 Road King and 1983 Electra Glide.

Something is missiing.

Been thinking hard about adding a Sportster for over a year now. Really like the look of the peanut tank and the solo seat, but it looks like the only offering there is an 883. You can't get the peanut tank on the 1200 unless you want an "R". What to do, what to do????

Also, looks like a 90/21 is the standard front tire? Saw one with a 100/19 which I thought might be better?

Help me out here.

How about some free advice?

Thanks

·
Banned
5,329 Posts
The seat and the tank are different on the 883 and 1200. It wont mix and match seamlessly. Also, the 883 is a bit wanting in power for a 200 pounder . Maybe the trick is to add a Zippers Torkster kit. http://www.zippersperformance.com/ Add a nice, air intake and some pipes and you have what you prolly want. You still have not exceeded the cost of a stock 1200 and you will wipe'em up with the conversion.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
The 883 custom and the 1200 custom have 21" wheels and they have the new style tank. The 1200 Low also has the new tank. All others have peanut tanks. My personal favorites, the 883R and the 1200R. I just don't like the paint scheme on the 1200R's though.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jockeyshift said:
The 883 custom and the 1200 custom have 21" wheels and they have the new style tank. The 1200 Low also has the new tank. All others have peanut tanks. My personal favorites, the 883R and the 1200R. I just don't like the paint scheme on the 1200R's though.
Exactly. I wanted the peanut tank, but don't like the currently available paint schemes. Also, I like the solo seat - but that doesn't come on an "R".

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just buy it

Sportster tanks and seats are easy pickins on ebay. And if the 883 ain't got enough juice for ya, you can make it a 1200 pretty darn cheap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts