V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After about 10 min of running my engine shuts off. The LED on the ignition module goes out and won't come back on until the bike is completly cooled. What is overheating? Coils, ignition, voltage regulater? Any ideas on what temps the engine case should be running at so I can figure out if it is running to hot? thanks. It is a brand new evo if that helps.

·
Dakota
10 Posts
Its probably either your coil, or module, they tend to break down when they heat up.... check resistance on your coil, but make sure its hot when you do the test, or it will read good. as far as case temps, 200 - 250 is normal. hope this helps you.... if its not the coil, then just replace the module.
Nick at Dakota V-twin

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
Most times the issue your ign module , located in the nose cone. I have gone to DTT systems. I have tried using stock coils that ohm out good cold but hot they can increase in ohms and they tend to cause issue's with the module. If you are running a cap on the nose cone you need to space it out to allow some air in there to keep it cool. What brand of ign are you using??

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Useing the Ultima 53-60 ignition. Right now I have no cap on it to try and keep it cool. I will run it again and shoot the temp when it turns off to see if it is normal.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
I not one to make a blanket statement but the ultima ign you has is junk. We have replaced more than I can count. Buy a good quality ign system and go riding

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
THE dtt, I will set it up for kicker for you. cost on a complete kit with coil. I know you have one but are you 100% sure it will never increase in ohms?/ if it does it will take out the module. Module only is 275, kit is 323

1 - 7 of 7 Posts