V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
I was thinking about joining a club years ago but decided against it, a short time later my 48 panhead disappeared out of my backyard in the middle of the night. No help from the cops on that case.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,895 Posts
I've always managed to get in enough trouble by myself. Never needed help.

Most of my riding buddies from my single days joined clubs. I just never saw any reason for me to join.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ain't that the t
I've always managed to get in enough trouble by myself. Never needed help.

Most of my riding buddies from my single days joined clubs. I just never saw any reason for me to join.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk
ain't that the truth.... I founded a 99% club when I was overseas, this is A LOT different though. My wife is on the fence about it and what I know from just the club I founded, if your ole lady ain't into it it, it's probably not going to work.

·
Registered
10,691 Posts
I was in a rated G club in Union Co. NJ. A retired fireman who had cancer founded the club. He married a woman who had a bike and was 20 yrs younger than him. After he died the club tried to stay together, but he was the driving force. A couple BMW guys was running the club and you know how those are so it wasn't long until the club folded.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
281 Posts
I was thinking about joining a club years ago but decided against it, a short time later my 48 panhead disappeared out of my backyard in the middle of the night. No help from the cops on that case.

Curious why you mentioned your bike being stolen. It is like you are subtly implying that your bike was stolen as a result of your considering or not joining a club. Do you think the theft of your bike was somehow related to you considering joining a club, or deciding against it?

·
Registered
10,691 Posts
Would I do it? No
Why? I'm not prepared to give the time required

What's a rated G club?
We didn't stop at bars except for different club halls that were having lime runs. A lime run is called that because there is no map. The different turns are marked with a shovel full of lime. Collecting cards as you go. We would go to the PA hill climb and went on camping weekends. Once camped a few riders with hard saddlebags would make a beer run. That night we were rated R.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
788 Posts
I believe the theft was directly related to my not joining.
I had just got out of the Army in 1968 and started hanging out with a bunch, getting drunk, acting stupid, thought it was kool. But I figured out pretty quick it was a downward slide and bailed. There were better things to do than spending the weekends in jail. The fun to grief ratio was way out of whack.
My avatar is me on the pan. 1969.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I believe the theft was directly related to my not joining.
I had just got out of the Army in 1968 and started hanging out with a bunch, getting drunk, acting stupid, thought it was kool. But I figured out pretty quick it was a downward slide and bailed. There were better things to do than spending the weekends in jail. The fun to grief ratio was way out of whack.
My avatar is me on the pan. 1969.

Thanks for clearing that up. Your experience in '69 is totally irrelevant to clubs today. Things have changed. Glad you put this into context for the OP.

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,414 Posts
Not for me. In general, I'm not a joiner. I also am not giving that much power over my life to anyone else.

joe

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Last club I saw was on our local news from a local chapter, was disappointed in what I saw of these guys vs 30 years ago.

They were methed up.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Not for me. In general, I'm not a joiner. I also am not giving that much power over my life to anyone else.

joe
They would top it off and make you give 10% of your earnings!

Whoops that's on another topic, sorry Joe lol

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well tonight is the night I have to make my decision. Love the guys, love the brotherhood but like someone else mentioned you have to devote A LOT of time, me just coming back from overseas and trying to get my life in order, I might not be able to give the time required. This decision has been weighing heavy on me, been loosing sleep at night. Still don't know what I want to do, part of me thinks if I turn it down I'll regret it, then the other part knows what I'm going to be around and have to do. I'm really battling with this decision, but I appreciate all you guys insight.

·
Registered
10,691 Posts
I can understand how coming from the service having soldiers depending on each other to survive another day. Now you are back home and don't have the like minded individuals to fall back on. Joining a bike club is probably what you need at this time. There are plenty of members who sit back and let someone else be the officers of the club. I have found that once recreation becomes work it is no longer fun.

tarheel

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Could not get me to be on call 24/7, never committed to that at any job.

I understand why they want to know if they can trust you, but, If going thru a patch is still the way it is as it was 30 years ago, hell no to that still!. There's better ways to prove your keep in my mind, Some of the things I know that guys did during prospect time(and I only know of a few) had the opposite affect towards me, I actually couldn't trust a guy willing to do some of the things told to do and the a$$ that wanted you to do it as well. Sorry, tuff guy sh!t I understand and know where it comes from, but weird sh!t moves me away from ya.

Then I have never been willing to spend time in the bung hoe camp,
Hoosegow,
mainline joint,
skinner joint,
stoney lonesome,
con college, glasshouse,
bucket,
club fed,
greybar hotel,
big house,
slammer,
calaboose,
castle,
cooler,
country club,
crowbar hotel,
digger,
farm,
guardhouse,
hole,
joint,
jug,
juvie,
pen,
pokey,
rock,
sneezer,
stockade or the clink------ for someone.

Now my kids being hurt by someone would test this choice.

·
Registered
788 Posts
The way things are now you can probably do your initiation online.
Bad joke. could be true though.
Actually I do understand your feelings, When I got out I didn't identify with the vets at the VFW or American Legion and we were not welcomed there anyway. , I tried college but I didn't relate to a bunch of kids just out of high school trying to keep their S2 draft status. So it was easy to fall in with a group of people that didn't give two shits. Someone that I respected told me that if you are a criminal, outlaw, and or both the more people that you can bring down to your level helps you to rationalize and make your own behavior seem more normal.
I can tell you for a fact that walking around wearing handcuffs has a way of sucking the fun out of being a tuff guy.
I probably could have left that part out.
Anyway I have no regrets about my decision to walk, but this is your decision to make.
Good luck brother.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts