V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put on my new Screamin Eagle breather kit last night and seat of the pants tell me "I got's mo tork". Kit was a breeze, but, is it a "female dog" to install the new jets? I know I'm runnin lean. Or should I leave this task for the local, capable, honest, non dealer wrench?

Watchall think?

Ape

·
Registered
84 Posts
Ape, you may have already seen this, but if not check out this link....

http://www.nightrider.com Visit the V-Twin Cafe, and follow the links.

It has a ton of useful information on carburetor tuning, performance mods., cams, dyno results.....and more.

Very simple diagrams to follow for the willing to learn home mechanic.

I'm sure others will bump in here and give you some detail things to be careful of. I say go for it,.....jetting is usually quick and simple after your first time.

Jimmy T

·
Registered
68 Posts
No big deal to re-jet the carb, go one up on each, then drill out the idle screw, turn it out about 2 1/2 turns, you should be good to go. Enjoy that new found power.
Gary

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Replacing the jets is a no brainer, knowing what jets to use is the real trick.
You likely have to try several setups, but you get much quicker replacing the jets after a few times.

If you want quick and easy, find a shop with a dyno and a good operator, and in a couple of hours you will be dialed in. Every bike is different and if you have no access to a dyno the pleasure of riding a perfectly dialed in bike is well worth a couple hundred bucks. You can minimize the dyno time if you get the bike close on your own. One or two changes can be made in less then an hour.

·
Registered
6 Posts
had carb rejetted and k& n air cleaner put 03 softail classic. a little more power, but found cycle can run on regular gas with no valve pinging under load. just tells me stock bike is running way too lean from factory.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Besides a little more Umph... in the seat of the pants there is no real advantages that I can see by doing it...... Unless you want to race... Most people re-jet so they can say... or have the feeling that the bike is more powerful... just for the sake on knowing the bike is given a little more potential regardless if it's really an advantage for your need.... Been there, done that.... I have done the re-jet, breather, drag pipes etc. for the HP and torque gain.... and yet rode like "I always" rode and never used the improvements for any personal advantages... Parts for show are a horse of a different color... Guess what I'm getting at is: Engine mods are usally a waste of good money unless you intend to take advantage of what the mod will do for you... and if you don't intent to race or drag.... or change your riding style, then all you are doing is dumping money in a bike for unseen, unused reasons... I was once addicted to Harley Parts, Mods, and spending tons of money. It's like home improvement projects... A new bathroom or kitchen will usually pay dividends when you re-sell... but a pool in the back yard is just a hole in the ground to pour money into... Just my opnion and it's your money, your bike and whatever makes you happy.... Live and let live... Ride hard..

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Doug said:
It's like home improvement projects... A new bathroom or kitchen will usually pay dividends when you re-sell... but a pool in the back yard is just a hole in the ground to pour money into... Just my opnion and it's your money, your bike and whatever makes you happy.... Live and let live... Ride hard..
Good thought process there Doug. I agree with almost everything. But a pool just a hole. Like most holes it can bring you lots of pleasure, and most require you to throw money at them. And what ever makes you happy is worth it. And I don't want to live in a world with no holes.:D

·
Registered
81 Posts
re-jet

maybe i've missed something along the way here but when you do mods like breather exhaust etc...don't ya usually have ta re jet or at least check so that the new back flow or inlet of air is compensated for in the carb so your not running too lean or rich wich may cause internal damage?

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
Doug said:
Besides a little more Umph... in the seat of the pants there is no real advantages that I can see by doing it...... Unless you want to race... Most people re-jet so they can say... or have the feeling that the bike is more powerful... just for the sake on knowing the bike is given a little more potential regardless if it's really an advantage for your need.... Been there, done that.... I have done the re-jet, breather, drag pipes etc. for the HP and torque gain.... and yet rode like "I always" rode and never used the improvements for any personal advantages... Parts for show are a horse of a different color... Guess what I'm getting at is: Engine mods are usally a waste of good money unless you intend to take advantage of what the mod will do for you... and if you don't intent to race or drag.... or change your riding style, then all you are doing is dumping money in a bike for unseen, unused reasons... I was once addicted to Harley Parts, Mods, and spending tons of money. It's like home improvement projects... A new bathroom or kitchen will usually pay dividends when you re-sell... but a pool in the back yard is just a hole in the ground to pour money into... Just my opnion and it's your money, your bike and whatever makes you happy.... Live and let live... Ride hard..
WTF:rolleyes:

·
Registered
222 Posts
Wow! I'm blown away! Here I thought I was getting the most out of my Lowrider by jetting it correctly, only to find out I've been misled:rolleyes: ?
I would MUCH rather invest in performance and reliability parts than "show" parts. Like my ol buddy says "Chrome don't get ya home!"

·
DR EVO
1,757 Posts
oh i didnt realize that rejetting was more of a "fashion statement". i always thought it was a means of "recalibrating" your carberator for optimal performance.

·
Registered
34 Posts
hey doug , about that whole investments /Wasting money..... Alot of people would say a Bike is a Waste of money.... and it's definatly not an investment...and a car is far more practical.......so what are we even talking about.

And i agree with flash, Chrome is overrated. I'de far rather be able to power or brake my way out of a tricky situation then , then be shiney when i get hit by a car.
Really though.. if you Upgrade your brakes, you can brake quicker when some dumb ass pulls straight in front of you.... Or if your cruising down the road gonna pass a car....and he decides to come into your lane and your already past the middle of the car...Hit the gas...and hope you put enough power in that sucker that it pulls you out of it.... or maybe he'll just here the thunder and realize that your there.

I imageine you still ride the bike the same way with all show parts too...
Don't get me wrong I like a Nice bike, with Unique caracteristics... Although if we all were looking for the most power out of a bike, and not worried about looking good, we'd be driving somthing other than a harley.

my thoughts for the day.

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
Doug said:
.. It's like home improvement projects... A new bathroom or kitchen will usually pay dividends when you re-sell... but a pool in the back yard is just a hole in the ground to pour money into... Just my opnion and it's your money, your bike and whatever makes you happy.... Live and let live... Ride hard.. [/QUOTE

BOB VILLA RULES!!!:D

·
Registered
584 Posts
OK, now I'm confused. So.....my harley isn't a good investment and to upgrade to a StageI is a waste of money? Dang and I thought I had it figured out. :( But, Doug wants us to Ride Hard.....with a choked up stock Harley with pretty add-ons? Still confused.... Just want to be part of the crowd. J.T.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Sorry guys... I wasn't trying to confuse anyone.... or start any wars... Just expressing an opnion that re-jetting isn't really needed unless you are planning to use the bike for other then just riding and touring.... Sure re-jetting will help the bike achieve more power but unless you really need it for general riding and you don't push the bike.... are you really getting the best bang for your buck?... Most riders I know who have re-jett kits usually don't have anything to say in the positive aspects and are usually always trying to adjust the carb for smoother idle Hence..... if the jet kit really is better for "overall performance" why wouldn't Harley put the kit in the bike in the first place....?! I asked about re-jetting a couple of times regarding different Harley's I've owned and was told by two Harley dealerships that "to each his own" but the Harley builders put together the best combination of parts right from the factory... for the general usage public and re-jetting is designed for race applications and if you don't race..... then I simply view it as something nice to have but not really necessary?! Again, just my opnion..... and opnions are like @$$ holes....

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
Doug,

In simple terms, any time an engines air intake and exhaust are freed up, the fuel intake must also be increased to accomodate the richer air fuel mixture required to make the engine run correctly, otherwise it will run poorly due to a lean condition. This is achieved by rejetting a carb or remapping the ECM w/fuel injection.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Doug:
Supersport hit the nail on the head. Too bad that you have formed an opinion based on info that is very iffy at best. Factory setup as far as carbs and EFI goes, must be set on the lean side to allow these air cooled engines to pass EPA emissions test not because it is the best setup. Don't know what kind of bike you are running or what has been done to it, but someone has been feeding you a line of BS. If you've got buddies that are constantly messing with carb settings then something wasn't setup right to start with or they've got wrong components installed. A completely stock bike will perform good as is but is still slightly lean at slow speeds.

As you say, it's your opinion but in this case, it's wrong.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Making mods to my bike is 2 fold.

#1 I like it, I like working on my Harleys, Im the only mech that tuches my (out of warrenty) Harleys. I add this & that to make myself happy, if I dont like what I did I live & learn and try something elese.
#2 Fun. Its run haveing a bike that will hand other bikes exhaust notes. When I get beat, I can allways say "yea for 3 grand (up) you should of beat me"...

Getting my bikes to not "carb fart" and not have exsseve pop pop pop on deacel are icing on the cake.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts