V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to HD had previously ridden water cooled metrics, I live in the Southwest and wanted to get a consensus of fellow riders who ride in hot climate if you guys add oil coolers. I wanted to ask fellow riders not the sales folf at the stealership or the dealer ship groupies, you know the type, they sport the HD tshirts but don't ride.
If you do not oil cool, what is the limit of the stock HD oils, I have one of those cheap dip stick temp gauge and in the summer the oil was running about 225-235 degrees, is this bad?
I read an article where the MOCO was going to oil cool the TC88 motor but styling shot it down. Any info will help.
Thanks
Ric-

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
I think that 225 - 235 is ok On the Evo and TC models. If it's higher, I would look into an oil cooler. This is where you want it to run so it can "evaporate" any condensation that has build up inside the oil bag or engine. Remember, oil and water don't mix well. The shovels ran a little hotter and thats why you see more of them with oil coolers.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
69 Posts
info from article in the jan '03 issue of Hot Rod Bikes:

"Every 12° above 240° F cuts the life of oil in half. The ideal temperature for oil is considered to 212° F, since it will boil off moisture. At a constant 240° F the oil's service life is cut in half. Air-cooled engines operate as high as 350° F."

"The frequent changing of both oil and filter are still the best insurance for engine longevity."

"That 70 - 90% of all wear in an engine occurs at start-up is a fact."

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
:D ...and it starts again..............

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys I didn't want to start a dino versus syn controversy, I've read alot about all that and more than likely will switch to synthetic after my motor breaks in. I'm only at 800 miles now, what would be a good "break in period" before I switch to synthetic.
What I have noticed locally, West Texas, is that the majority of the guys with the coolers are riding the touring bikes or baggers, a low percentage are using synthetic, most people live and ride by the motto that oil is cheap, change it often. I personally do not like the look of the HD oil cooler or any of the aftermarket "billet" coolers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts