V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
The Viking
Joined
·
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Busy doing a 95" upgrade at the moment, engine stipped down and the pots are away to be re-bored.

My question is this:- when I split the heads from the pots there was carbon build up but no more than I've seen from pictures on this site......but the head ports and valve area are sooty and black. Having read all on this site re head work and polishing intake and exhaust ports should I clean the heads and if so what with or should I just leave well alone.:unsure:


Thanks in advance
 

·
IronButt
Joined
·
6,364 Posts
They will get full of carbon again yo will not hurt anything JUST MAKE SURE you get it all out, one chunkof carbon dropping into a fresh bore and it will take a bite out of the cylinder.
 

·
Addicted to American Iron
Joined
·
460 Posts
The best sure fire way to get carbon off is to have them ported, decked, intake and exhaust reworked, with new valves, springs, and seats..........:laugh:

Seriously, you have the heads off and putting money into a BB kit......several sponsors do heads cheap. Money well spent.
 

·
The Viking
Joined
·
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Getting head work done.

At the moment getting any sort of head work done is prohibitive. I Just can't afford it!
I live in the UK and the only person that I Have found who does this sort of work is charging around £850 thats about $1462 and thats just to get my heads done,not new heads and it works out just as expensive getting them done over your way.

So whats the best way to go about cleaning the carbon from my heads. what do you use? what cleaning agents, tools

thanks in advance

Mickyo
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
871 Posts
Mickyo said:
At the moment getting any sort of head work done is prohibitive. I Just can't afford it!
I live in the UK and the only person that I Have found who does this sort of work is charging around £850 thats about $1462 and thats just to get my heads done,not new heads and it works out just as expensive getting them done over your way.

So whats the best way to go about cleaning the carbon from my heads. what do you use? what cleaning agents, tools

thanks in advance

Mickyo
If you decide to polish anything, leave the intake ports alone. You want them to be slightly rough. The exhaust can be shined up, though.

What I use to clean them is a bronze wire brush and some brake cleaner. Don't put any deep scratches in the surface. It could cause a crack to form over time. A scotchbrite pad works great, too, and you won't cause any damage to the parts.
 

·
The Viking
Joined
·
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
info I needed

ToddM said:
If you decide to polish anything, leave the intake ports alone. You want them to be slightly rough. The exhaust can be shined up, though.

What I use to clean them is a bronze wire brush and some brake cleaner. Don't put any deep scratches in the surface. It could cause a crack to form over time. A scotchbrite pad works great, too, and you won't cause any damage to the parts.

Thats exactly what I was after.


Thanks for that ToddM:thumbsup:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
871 Posts
TXCHOP said:
check this out. just saw this, may help ya..
Hmmm... looks like some good stuff! I wish I could still get ahold of the carbon remover we used to use to clean jet engine bearings and seal faceplates. That stuff worked great, but would also eat away at your skin of you got it on ya. After all, our bodies are carbon-based. LOL! I remember one guy who put some carbon oil seals in the solution tank. After about 2 hours, all that was left was the string that they were tied to. :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
946 Posts
ToddM said:
Hmmm... looks like some good stuff! I wish I could still get ahold of the carbon remover we used to use to clean jet engine bearings and seal faceplates. That stuff worked great, but would also eat away at your skin of you got it on ya. After all, our bodies are carbon-based. LOL! I remember one guy who put some carbon oil seals in the solution tank. After about 2 hours, all that was left was the string that they were tied to. :)
:yikes: :yikes: :yikes:
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top