V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of replacing the polished aluminum parts on my bike with chrome, HD has chrome engine kits and the parts can be purchased serarately as well.
What about just sending my parts to a chromer, would there be any advantages or disadvantages.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
If it was me I would just buy the new chrome parts. Then you dont have to worry about chrome coming off or not fitting back right. Plus it will probably not be that big of a price difference.Just my -2$en#e-

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
wideglide03 said:
If it was me I would just buy the new chrome parts. Then you dont have to worry about chrome coming off or not fitting back right.
You have to worry about it just as much with new HD parts. Their chrome isn't the best in the world.

I'd send it out to a good plater and save some bucks. Advanced Platings in Nashville does outstanding work for reasonable prices.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Two words: Powder-coating
Or is that one word, cause its hyphenated?

Chrome sucks. It scratches easily, you have to constantly clean it. And it attracts dumbass gawkers.

Powder coat everything, and buy some orange-blast or simply-green to keep it clean.

·
Ridin' with the King
1,352 Posts
Don't know if hey are still around but Brown's always did great work for me. I have had stuff plated by a number of places and the only plated stuff that lasted was Brown's. I think they were in Puducah, KY (sp?).

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
Chrome don't get you home, but you sure look good sitting on the side of the road. Having said that, I usually have opted to buy a chrome piece, that way I have the stock incase I sell the bike or swap stuff or what ever

·
Total Nutcase
2,691 Posts
Depending on what you want chromed, it could be cheaper to buy it from Chicago Harley. I would check into that option first. Plus, your bike isn't down while you wait on stuff at the plater.

·
Banned
86 Posts
Off the shelf...

I've seen some bad Harley chrome come off my dealers wall display and maybe that is because it is made in China or another non-American place. The price between buying or having it done is about the same here in jersey.

·
?????
3,531 Posts
Go for it, I'm a chrome fanatic. Sure its more work to take care of it, the work is well worth it when folks take notice. I've parked my bike next to others that have the polished aluminum, mine gets noticed more and complimented plenty. My bike is 100% Harley Davidson, on my last 3 bikes I've had plenty of upgrades and all were as expected. I have yet to have any issues with the chrome from the MoCo, between my dad and myself we have bought plenty of it and all has been just fine.

·
90 FXRS LOWRIDER
553 Posts
i also think think the moco chrome is better than than any other manufacturer i have used. have yet to notice any problems. and yeah, polished sucks cause you have to clean and polish it constantly, every other day or it starts to look aged quickly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts