V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A guy I know is thinking about buying a 2001 Buell Lightening X1. I have a Harley but have no experience with the Buell so maybe someone can give me some insight. Specifically he was asking me about the vibration. Do they vibrate excessively? Is the engine rubber mounted. It seems they have awesome horsepower. If anyone could give me some info on their experience with this bike, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for any help.

·
Founder/Administrator
1,315 Posts
Sidewalk will be the one to answer this one. Whatever happened to Buellbomb? He got his VRod and disappeared off the face of the earth!?

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
dprice said:
Sidewalk will be the one to answer this one. Whatever happened to Buellbomb? He got his VRod and disappeared off the face of the earth!?
Bart (Buellbomb) a/k/a ALOTA_V (on some boards) did something very unusual. He decided he wanted a more comfortable bike. He was into taking long trips. So, he purchased....<drumroll.......> a Goldwing. :eek: Amazing, but true. He's either already sold or is in the process of selling his V-Rod, at a loss because he paid "over" msrp. Don't know if he sold his Buell.

If you want to catch up with him, I'll be glad to relay a message or tell ya' where you can find him posting (no H/D groups).

I'm sorry to see him go. He was a good guy. I feel particularly bad because I'd invited him to our V-Rod Forum (and a V-Rod group over at yahoo). From all he says though he does seem to like his Wing.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think this guy already has one in mind. As for the GW, I took a demo out last year and the only thing that impressed me was the engine. You can't take it away from Honda, they have a great motor. I found that my Ultra was just as comfortable as the GW and offered better wind protection. The lash in the drive shaft was very annoying. AND, this may sound strange but I found that when I went around a clover leaf turn, I was trying to lean and it seemed that the bike was trying to stay straight. I really didn't enjoy the ride. I won't be trading the Ultra any time soon.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Be careful what you wish for. They have a very long recall history.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I guess it depends on what you mean by "excessive". It vibrates pretty good at idle, and it is a little rough bellow 2500 or so. Once you climb above 3000, it is nice. By the time you get done with a long ride, you can feel the effects of the vibration, but I don't doubt you wouldn't get that from most sport bikes. The Cyclone M2 is a little more comfortable if a nicer ride is wanted, with most of the same performance of the X1. There is also the Thunderbolt, which is more of a touring version. Still has a lot of performance, but is much more comfortable, and has a nice faring on it. I hope to have one of these in the future (parked next to my X1, and my Road Glide that I don't have).

The HP is nice. With a little over 100 HP off the showroom, it ets up and goes, especially considering it is a HD V-twin.

If it is a new bike, I would look into either the new Lightening XB8S when it is released, or the Firebolt XB9R that is already out. It has a little less power but it will out corner just about anything on the road right now, and it weighs a lot less then the X1.

A Buell is definitely one of those you either like it or you don't bikes. There are a couple of Buell sites around for more info. You can always head to either www.sportbike.net or www.sacborg.com to find out everything bad about them. Of course, seeing as how it is owned partially by HD, it is completely worthless:rolleyes:

Best thing to do is ride it for a little while and see what you/he thinks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts