V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
"What's this do?"
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I run the Tmax/Autotune combo in open loop – without the o2 sensors? I am running very lean and need the ability to throw some kind of canned fuel map at the scoot now.

Why not just run closed loop you might ask? Well, I don’t have o2 bungs on my current pipes and my pockets lack the necessary depth to add them. I want to add Fat Cat pipes with bungs preinstalled down the road, but until then I need a band-aid fix to my lean condition.

So the question becomes, until I save enough allowance to get pipes with o2 bungs… Can I run the Tmax w/ Autotune in an open-loop configuration using a downloaded map? (I want to AVOID buying just the controller and then adding the Autotune fixture later.)

I know, I know… it’s not the right way to do it.

--Bill

Details: Just bought the bike. 2002 RG. The previous owner had intake and pipes installed with some kind of ECU flash, but it is running way too lean for my taste.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I know you can run it in open loop mode if you have the AutoTune model but not sure if you would still need to have the connectors for the O2 sensors hooked up for the unit to work.

·
Sub Par Member
769 Posts
I'm pretty sure you can. I believe if the Autotune module doesn't detect the sensors that it just goes into open loop mode automatically. Just tie the connectors for the sensors up and out of the way for now.

I found this in the instruction manual:

If the oxygen sensors are not found, the module will revert back to Open Loop Settings and solely operate off of the Base Map File. If the oxygen sensors are found, the module will directly operate off of the settings in the “Closed Loop Module Settings” window.

·
"What's this do?"
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!

Great! This sounds promising. I’ll call Zippers Monday and get their opinion. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
ibilintuc said:
Why not just run closed loop you might ask? Well, I don’t have o2 bungs on my current pipes and my pockets lack the necessary depth to add them. I want to add Fat Cat pipes with bungs preinstalled down the road, but until then I need a band-aid fix to my lean condition.
Take your existing pipes to a muffler shop and have them put in bungs. Costs about $30.

·
"What's this do?"
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ToBeFrank said:
Take your existing pipes to a muffler shop and have them put in bungs. Costs about $30.
Yes, I explored that, but the heat shields don’t afford the clearance. I’m not going to hack at them. I believe the pipes are V&H headpipes with Kerker mufflers and are in good used sellable condition which will help offset a bit of the cost of 2>1s.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Heat shields don't interfere with O2 sensor locations......unless they wrap the bottom of the pipe....I had VH TD's converted to O2 with no problems

I might add that everyone says to get them welded on at a muffler shop....I could never find a muffler shop that did TIG welding around here...cost me more than $30 FWIW

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
The first muffler shop I tried was afraid his welder would blow holes in the pipes so he turned me down. Had he done it, he would have charged $45 including the bungs. I found bungs on my own for about $14, and had a friend who owns an auto repair shop do the job. He charged me $20.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts