V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my Road King in Nov '02 I bought a service agreement that included all the free tires I could burn up in four years.
The agreement is due to expire Nov this year and will have to start buying my own tires. Question is what is the best to buy?

My riding style is "wimpish". I don't do donuts or burnouts or smoke um off the line and get about 10-13K per rear and 20K on the front as normal. I would like to go to some tires that get better tread life since I am averaging 30K+ per year and tire costs is a concern. The only mfg's I have heard of are Dunlop, Avon and Metz on the H-D forums I frequent but they all have about the same wearability mileage wise.
On my previous bike, a GoldWing, I ran Continentals that wore like Iron but can not seem to find a fit for the Road King at least the size charts for Continentals don't show a match.
I have read threads of guys going to Automobile tires for the wear capabilities but that does not suite me to well. There are some concerns about handling here.

Anyone know of a suitable tire for better wear and still provice acceptable handling?

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
You cannot go wrong with the Avons, in my opinion. Depending on riding style, you're going to get just a little more out of them than the Dunlops you have been running. I ran Avons on the '01 Road King I used to have and do on the '04 Electra Glide Classic I have now. They are a better handling tire than the stock Dunlops. I run 40 lbs. in front & 44 in rear. They like a little more air than Dunlops. From what I've read, so do the Metzelers.

Other people can chime in about the Metzelers. Do a search in the 'Wheels and Tires/Suspension' section of this site and grab a cup of coffee for a long read about tires.

If you're expecting to get 20K+ out of your rear & 30K+ from the front or mileage like you get from an automobile tire, it's not going to happen on a regular basis. Others may give you examples of doing so, but those cases are rare.

·
04 Ultra
248 Posts
I stick with the Dunlops for a couple of reasons. One, you get pretty good life out of them, two, they don't handle to badly although the Metzlers are the best handlers in my opinion and three, and the most important, if you are on a road trip and ruin a tire most Harley dealers will have a Dunlop to replace the bad one. If you have another brand you most likely will have to buy two, because a dealer won't mix tires.

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
I haven't tried the Avons yet, but i did move to Metzelers and I have no reason to go back to Dunlops. I get none of the tracking as I did with the Dunlops and I feel much more confident in turns.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts