V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, needing new tires for the upcoming season. First question I have is, what’s your favorite tire? Brand, model, and what not. I currently have the Dunlop D401 Harley tires. I have an 04 Dyna FXD, I want to switch to something wider than the stock 130 but don’t want to do any kind of modification to the bike. I’ve heard that Avons flair more than most and gives the appearance of a tire that is wider than it actually is. This is my first time buying cruiser tires so I just don’t know. Any facts, thoughts, feeling and opinions, pics of what you run and sizes would be great.

Thanks in advance fellas.

·
Registered
13 Posts
my 2 cents: Michelin Commander's, replaced my D401's with these on my 2010 dyna. difference night and day. I have alum wheels and installed balancing beads at the same time. very smooth great handling especially in the wet.. 7K miles on the pair with 25% aggressive riding and not even half worn. round from shoulder to shoulder, no flat center.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I run 150/80-16 Avon Cobra '03 FXDWG. On my third set of Avon's, they stick like glue in the corners and decent mileage. Bumped the front to 90/90-21, largest to fit stock.

Attachments

·
Registered
524 Posts
Metzler 888 Ultra tires with white walls

I absolutely feel confident on them.
They don't last long, but I ride like a wild man.

With only square inch or so on the pavement at any time.... I want the best.

I have ridden
Continentals
Dunlop's
Avon

But I always come back to the Metzlers.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Avon Cobras for me. Been running them since I got rid of the stock Dunlops almost 10 years ago and they work very well in the twisties and in the rain.

·
Livin' Free Indeed
1,052 Posts
I run 150/80-16 Avon Cobra '03 FXDWG. On my third set of Avon's, they stick like glue in the corners and decent mileage. Bumped the front to 90/90-21, largest to fit stock.
Avon Venoms (discontinued) & now Avon Cobras. Very sticky tire & yet wears well. I run the 160 wide in the rear, fits with the 1 1/8" wide belt on my '02 Lowrider.

·
Gearhead
1,114 Posts
I've run Dunlops, Pirelli, Metzler and Michelin commanders and so far my vote goes for the Michelin. Long lasting and the handle well.

·
Premium Member
4,689 Posts
I've run Dunlops, Pirelli, Metzler and Michelin commanders and so far my vote goes for the Michelin. Long lasting and the handle well.
Add Avon to that list of used to run.
+1 on Commander Ii's.

·
Premium Member
1,366 Posts
Running Dunlop SE 502's 07 Streetbob. The 180 rear sticks!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hello everyone ! Havent been on forum for long time, but here today.. yeah.. Commander 2 150 fits easily on rear 2003 FXD. I have been doing so many things to bike, that it will feel good to share and ask many questions.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts