V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to get new tires for my low rider and would like to get some opinions on the 3 that I am thinking about, AVON,Metzler,Dunlop. I do mostly solo riding more "around town" then long distance. I have the factory dunlops on now, but need to decide within 2000mls.

I would appriciate any and all opinions.......

THANKS!!

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
I saw the post in the general discussion and replied to it first. This one also included Dunlop so I have added just a little.

Tire opinions will vary. You have definitely named three of the hottest brands going. I went with the Metzeler 880. I'm on my second rear Metz. and I am really impressed. It is a touring tire made for heavier loads and long tread life. It doesn't sacrifice traction wet or dry. The first one gave me a third more tread life than the Dunlop K591 that I had in the rear. I just recently put a Metzeler 880 on the front also. One peculiar thing I noticed on the front is a kinda whistling noise when I go across the tar strips on a black-topped road. Kind of unusual but not too annoying. I hear that the Avon Venoms are also good traction high mileage tires. I haven't tried them though.

With Dunlop you get lot's of choices. The Dunlop D402's are like the one's fitted on original equipment Harleys 1991-2002. If you like the tire that came on your bike that's the one. When I changed the rear the first time on my bike I wanted a 150 size tire. In the K591 it was only available in the sport tread. It was great tire but the tread mileage wasn't very good at all. The Dunlop 491 Elite II is a good tire. They have an excellent wet traction record. There are so many Dunlops out there and that's the brand that i have been using since the mid 70's untill now. I'm very happy with the Metzeler 880's and is as good traction wise as most all but the low mileage sport/race tires and has very good wear mileage. It's my choice for now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts