V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys I would like to hear what you guys think about the two tires the Dunlap D402 for the Harley electra glide or the Michelin Commander 2 or 3. I just removed my Michellin Commander 2 tires and installed the Dunlap D402 tires.If any one out there wants a great deal on Dunlap tires I will sell these tomorrow and go back to Michellin commander. My bike just likes them so much more I can cruise at 100-110mph no problem. Now with these Dunlaps it gets wobbly at 70mph. around a turn I get a wobble and when I try to cruise I can power through the 70mph wobble and it will straighten up until about 95 and it starts again.It sucks and I think they are dangerous. Is this just me and my bike or does anyone else have experience. Really if you like the Dunlaps I will sale these tomorrow. They have about 100 miles on them.

·
Registered
2008 Dyna Super Glide Custom, 2015 BMW K1600GTL
151 Posts
The Dunlop American Elites were the best tire I ran on my 2009 Ultra Classic. I had numerous sets over close to 90k miles. I also have them on my 2008 Dyna Super Glide. On my BMW I run the Dunlop Road Smart 3. Flawless. I think you should try the American Elites. Everyone that has them, loves them.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
843 Posts
american elites on back and m-commander on front is best ...yes 402 i put on now (got a cheap deal for less$$) is wobbly also compared to m-comm i wore out... i will go back when this 402 is worn down...i havent tried an am-el on front yet tho...but front dunlops are plentiful imo

·
Registered
2017 CVO breakout
20 Posts
Brian,
You have a tire out of balance, have both tires rebalanced that will take care of your wobble.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Big fan of Commander 2's. In all honesty I have had such crap experiences with Dunlops in the past I've never tried any of their more modern lines. So in fairness I cant badmouth the current ones. But two tires I really like were the Commander 2's and the Avon Cobras

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Brian,
You have a tire out of balance, have both tires rebalanced that will take care of your wobble.
Yeah I’m taking back to the dealer in morning to have rebalanced. I have heard recently the elites are much better I wish I would have tried those 8nstead of these D402 but the guy sold me saying these were more sticky around turns and this is the original OEM tire. I just know I loved my commander 2’s and I can’t say the same for these at this point. If the balance helps with the wobble then it may be different but if not I’m going to go back to the Michelin I’ve heard great things about the new commander 3

·
Registered
11,861 Posts
american elites on back and m-commander on front is best ...yes 402 i put on now (got a cheap deal for less$$) is wobbly also compared to m-comm i wore out... i will go back when this 402 is worn down...i havent tried an am-el on front yet tho...but front dunlops are plentiful imo
You got a cheap deal because that is an old tire. The Elites is the new Dunlop. Did you check the tire date on the sidewall before you bought them? The last time I had 402's was on a 84 Goldwing when I bought it then a couple years later the Elites came out.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
151 Posts
You got a cheap deal because that is an old tire. The Elites is the new Dunlop. Did you check the tire date on the sidewall before you bought them? The last time I had 402's was on a 84 Goldwing when I bought it then a couple years later the Elites came out.

They still make the 402's, and they're readily available. They are such an old design though, that the overall ride when compared to the American Elites is night and day. It's actually amazing how much tires make a difference on a motorcycle.

·
Premium Member
1986 FXRSC #3/1250 Original Owner
162 Posts
I completely HATE Dunlaps. I remove them the first chance I get. I did not like them when I bought my 86 FXR and the owner of a Triumph Dealer, ( C&C Cycles Chris RIP my Friend) turned me on to Continentals, RB2/K112, I have been running them since about 1988 on my FXR and I am completely confident in them. I run the corners hard and the Dunlaps I do not trust. On my Street Glide I got rid of the Dunlaps with 3000 mi on them. That was in 2007 I put Michelin Commanders on it and my friend still owns the bike they were terrific and she got over 20,000 miles out of them.
I have been thinking my next set for the Heritage may be Metzler 888. Everyone I talk to that runs them loves them.
I will continue to run the Continentals on the FXR as long as they still make them.
I have a 98 Dyna in the shop now and customer wanted Michelin commander 3's so we put them on and Im not so sure about them by looking at them. There is no tread in the center of the tire. I would be hesitant running in the rain on them until I proved myself that they work.

·
Premium Member
1986 FXRSC #3/1250 Original Owner
162 Posts
I should add that I don't care about how many miles I get out of a bike tire. I get 8000 miles out of the Continental rear tire I run. When I change it I change the front, tubes, and rim straps. I want the piece of mind when I throw it in a corner it is going to stick. Ground time sucks!

·
Registered
151 Posts
I think some of you are living 30 years in the past. Tire technology has changed immensely in the last few years. Many tires on the market are dual compound now, last a lot longer, and have a better grip in almost any condition. Some of the tires you guys are talking about here have been outdated for decades.

·
Registered
2013 Electra Glide Ultra Classic
86 Posts
I have always run Dunlop 402 on all my harley's, My new (2013) EG Ultra had Michelin's on it when I bought it, She handled Great, But the front tire was the original 12k miles, and the Rear was almost wore out, so I put Dunlop American Elites front and rear, I have to say The Elites are squirrely on the Black snakes on the road, The Michelins seem to No slip as bad on the black snakes. and they were old and wore out. after these Dunlop Elites wear out I may go with Michelin.
With the dunlop american elites, on our 12 day road trip to Montana, The tires rode great, (except for the Black Snakes on the road), I hit 90-100 on those wide open hwys out there in Montana, and No Wobble, Very Stable.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Yeah what they told me was that before 08 all the Harley’s were running these 402’s. Then they switched to the elite. So they said this was tire for my bike. I loved my Michelin and probably would love the elites. These tires should be on my 01 fat boy not my electra glide. I bought online soon I did not get to check the date but the date is 11th week of this year. 1120.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Yeah what they told me was that before 08 all the Harley’s were running these 402’s. Then they switched to the elite. So they said this was tire for my bike. I loved my Michelin and probably would love the elites. These tires should be on my 01 fat boy not my electra glide. I bought online soon I did not get to check the date but the date is 11th week of this year. 1120.
They actually switched to the D407/D408, which is a Harley only tire. The American Elites are also dual compound, but different tread pattern. The AE' were much better than the OEM D407/D408 (to me).

·
Registered
2004 FLHTI
739 Posts
OE Dumlops never seem to last 10K miles on my bike. American Elites were a little better but I thought they sucked on wet roads. I now have Michelin Commander IIIs front and rear. They feel much better in rain to me and very sticky cornering dry roads. My son said he got great life out of the IIs and Michelin says the IIIs should last even longe.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
OEM Dunlops and American Elites are the same tire. The only differences being cosmetic. They both come off the same processing line and use the same dual compound on the rears. Simply a different mold. Made at a Goodyear plant in Lawton Oklahoma.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
OEM Dunlops and American Elites are the same tire. The only differences being cosmetic. They both come off the same processing line and use the same dual compound on the rears. Simply a different mold. Made at a Goodyear plant in Lawton Oklahoma.
HaHa! Many swear by the Elite over the OEM's.
That's pretty funny.

·
Registered
151 Posts
You would think so, but the tread pattern is completely different and I found a significant difference between the OEM D407/D408 & the American Elites. I had a 2009 Ultra Classic that I put nearly 90,000 miles on, so I had a lot of time to evaluate tires. They are definitely not the same tire. The American Elites wore significantly better for me than the OEM tire. I could not stop the original 407/408 from wearing out prematurely, regardless of air pressure changes.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts