V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2001 RKing that the owner had already done some engine work on. I have found out (from many people) that this isn't a touring bike setup. It currently has SE 257 cams, SE domed cast pistons (95"), SE heads, MM injection and Vance and Hines turn down pipes. The ecm is mapped with a SE map to support the parts. I had it apart last winter to replace the cam chain tensioners and was told that .030 head gaskets would help it out... WRONG.. all it did was cause it to ping like crazy... I've had enough...
I'd like to put the proper setup in this bike because I"m going to keep it for awhile. I ride 2 up 90% of the time and ride 10-15,000 miles a year. What are the opinions on what cams, pistons etc I should be running. I'd really like to keep the SE heads, but pistons and cams will be replaced. I guess I"ll have to send the cylinders out and have them checked/rebored and then I'll find out if I need 95" or 98" pistons. I have a bored gerolamy tbody as well as the stock one. I also have another ECM that is stage 2 and a PCIIIr. I'll do all the work myself.. Any help would be appreciated..
Thx... Bud

·
Registered
282 Posts
I know some here may not agree but if I were you, my first step would be to replace the MM with the Thundermax with Autotune conversion. You will not be disappointed any longer with the way it runs. Not a hard install either. If you are still not happy with the way it runs, then dig into the engine. With the Tmax, decel popping will be a thing of the past and with the right map, pinging will not be an issue either.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
"SE domed cast pistons (95"), SE heads"

Do you have a part number for the pistons that are in the engine? Domed Cast would imply the 10.25:1 compression pistons. They would be the wrong choice with the S.E. Performer heads (comp. too high). Do you know which S.E. heads are on there also?

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From what I can tell from the SE catalog the pistons are part # 22439-00A
and the heads are part # 16933-99B. I believe I still have the part numbers the guy gave me when I bought the bike at home in my file. I'll check this afternoon when I get off work to make sure these are right.
thx.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Cast flat-tops for the pistons,S&S570 cams open up the valve reliefs on the pistons if SE and youll have a 100-100 combo hippo build.good luck

·
Registered
466 Posts
I just checked the catalog, and it says those pistons can only be used with the htcc heads. So maybe that isn't the right part number if you're sure you have the SE performance heads.

Then again, maybe some of the compatibility specs in the book are "shouldn'ts" rather than "can'ts".

O.K., just checked the heads part number you gave...those are the htcc (non-ported) heads.

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
Cam Has Pletty Of Duration For That Compression

budco said:
I bought a 2001 RKing that the owner had already done some engine work on. I have found out (from many people) that this isn't a touring bike setup. It currently has SE 257 cams, SE domed cast pistons (95"), SE heads, MM injection and Vance and Hines turn down pipes. The ecm is mapped with a SE map to support the parts. I had it apart last winter to replace the cam chain tensioners and was told that .030 head gaskets would help it out... WRONG.. all it did was cause it to ping like crazy... I've had enough...
I'd like to put the proper setup in this bike because I"m going to keep it for awhile. I ride 2 up 90% of the time and ride 10-15,000 miles a year. What are the opinions on what cams, pistons etc I should be running. I'd really like to keep the SE heads, but pistons and cams will be replaced. I guess I"ll have to send the cylinders out and have them checked/rebored and then I'll find out if I need 95" or 98" pistons. I have a bored gerolamy tbody as well as the stock one. I also have another ECM that is stage 2 and a PCIIIr. I'll do all the work myself.. Any help would be appreciated..
Thx... Bud
If it was me I would keep the same set-up. Save your money. You have a good build that many of us wish we had! Try and work out the timing table and odviousely you know high octane is a must!!!-2$en#e-

·
Registered
466 Posts
Sorry so many replies...but there is an intake manifold for those heads that is supposed to increase the port velocity. Do you have those? That setup (with the manifold) is supposed to be a high-torque set up. Maybe those cams are hurting. The exhaust opens at 59-deg BBDC, so maybe it's killing your punch (especially with those pipes). Either get a 2-1 pipe so the early exhaust opening is worth it, or get a cam with a later exhaust opening if you're gonna keep the pipes.

·
Banned
1,636 Posts
I had the same problem with the build on my '01 too.
Here is what helped me get rid of the ping.

AMS Heads
Flat top pistons and juggs (1st HD 94.5", now AMS/KB 96.5")
.040 Cometic heagaskets
Andrews 26G cams
Zippers T-Max for M&M

Last September, at altitude, temps in high 90s, I pulled up a hill in 5th gear from 2,500rpms with no ping. Before it would have sounded like a bucket of bolts. The guys at AMS said that with the .030 I was running too much compression, and that was the root of the ping. The head work makes it flow much better and cooler.

My suggestion is to start inside the engine first. Go with some better flowing heads, and flat top pistons. Use .040 gaskets to keep the compression down. Lastly stick with one Vendor, don't try and piece meal the build out from different places. I run AMS, so I know their stuff works greak, but I have also hear great things from GMR, BigBoys, and others.

If your M&M FI works fine, then leave it alone. I went with only Zippers because I was one of those with nothing but M&M Problems.​

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Budco, you have SE HTCC non-ported heads and the 95" HTCC pistons (forged). Your listed CR with a H-D gasket is 10.5:1. That's what it likely was tuned for. When .030 gasket was installed your cr went up a bit throwing the tune off. Did it ping prior to the gasket swap? The trouble with any HTCC set up is your stuck with the pistons H-D offers, at least at 95". If you go bigger there are alternatives, expensive ones though. Poor squish is usually the culprit that causes detonation in HTCC builds. Also lose the pipes if you keep these heads and pistons. Many options out there. A good all around build was mentioned already. The Hippo, consisting of SE Performance heads (16952-99c was the # in 2006, Jenni at Charlies H-D sells them for $600.00), 95" cast flat tops #22851-99A, S&S .570 cams, and a good pipe. Hope you get it sorted out.

·
"Jane you ignorant slut!"
2,292 Posts
There are lots of options, especially if money is no object. If it is, like for most of us, I believe your combo. can be made to work at a lot less money.

The first thing I would do is contact HDMD88 through the board, Doc will give you the direction you need to go. If you or he would post it here it would be educational for everyone.

Chris

·
Premium Member
2,561 Posts
budco said:
Thx... Bud
The best we would recommend would be to weld the ports and combustion chambers in our stage 4 version. Those intake to exhaust flow ratios and port velocities and different from what we like. We like flat quench areas and shy away from the angle stuff and at the very least would- in our stage 2 condition- balance the intake to exhaust ratios and maximize port scavenging and give you the cams and pistons that would work best for you.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
The HTCC package is very picky when it comes to proper squish, you can retain the parts you have if you go through the process of tearing the engine down and setting squish and doing some work in the chamber of the head.

Or you could sell the HTCC parts and rework a set of stock heads and lower the compression , use a smaller shorter duration cam that will provide more tq in the touring range and be done with it.

As for the MM system they are not the best and that may be part of the issue as well if the bike is running lean. You can spend money on a new efi system of just replace it with a carb, ign system, and a pingel fuel valve and a small harness section and be done with it. A less agressive set up will work better with the MM as well.

It you have the take off parts you would be suprised at what a mild build can net you for a touring bike and it would be less head aches in the end

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just checked the part numbers that I got from the guy I bought the bike from. They are as follows...
10.5 to 1 high compression pistons.. #22868-00
big bore cylinders # 16546-99
SE heads # 16952-99b

I'd like to try to keep as much as I have as possible, still making it more for a touring bike.
thx.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
You have a se head and forged dome pistons not HTCC so you are ahead of the game.

The issue you have with ping is most likely caused by an incorrect AFR ratio, and ign timing may be playing havoc with you as well.

As we spoke on the phone you said you had some oil usage if you have to bore the cylinder 10 over swap to a cast falt top piston to keep cost down, clean up the se heads and you will have a lower compression ratio in the mid to high 9's and add a cam like a woods 6 or a hq 34 or 26 0r 37. With the 26 you might be a tad high on compression the only way to know is to cc the heads to see where they really are.

·
Premium Member
2,561 Posts
budco said:
Thx... Bud
I have a set up tips sheet for the MM injection I got from Reggie Sr that gives great results, you may want to pm me with a fax number and try this.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts