V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been very fortunate through the years not having too many flat tires. The only ones I remember were back in the days when I would install a new tire myself and end up pinching a tube putting the new tire on. Since I do a lot of riding alone I always think of being stranded in the middle of nowhere with a flat tire. So I picked a tire repair kit the last time I was at the dealer and put it in my saddlebags. The directions seem staight forward and it comes with two CO2 cartriges. I was wondering if anyone here has ever used a repair kit on the road and what you thought of it. Did you have enough for full inflation with two small CO2 cartriges?

Later,

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Most of the kits are a POS, and with two cartridges you'll feel like you are pissing up a rope.
It takes at least 4 or 5 cartridges to fully inflate the tire, and they can easily frost burn you.

I carry them, mostly to give away, but made me something else.
WalMart sells a Campbell Hausfeld 250 psi electric compressor for about 10 bucks. Take it apart and cut the cables and the pressure hose off. Cut the fan off. Cut the motor shaft extension off. Turn the cylinder head from the pump around 180 degrees. Add a couple of inches of the hose you cut off and enough cable to reach from the cigarette lighter to the tires. Throw everything else including the housing and the switch in the garbage.

Voila!! An electric tyre pump a little larger then a pack of smokes.

Also carry a plug gun that shoots a special type of plug that is equivalent to an internal plug.

The beauty of it is that when you carry this stuff you'll never have a flat.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Tire Repair

I just bought a tire repair kit from Stop and Go. Best I have seen. The kit recommends 4 co2 cartriges for a touring tire. Check out www.stopngo.com. I also (overkill) bought a tire leak kit from Ride-On. Check out
www.ride-on.com to prevent from using the kit. I ride back roads and the cell phone is useless in some places. You never know when a fellow rider might be stuck in the middle of no where with a flat. I'll probly never need either now that I have them but what the heck, better than being sorry I don't have them.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
HIPPO said:
Most of the kits are a POS, and with two cartridges you'll feel like you are pissing up a rope. ..... WalMart sells a Campbell Hausfeld 250 psi electric compressor for about 10 bucks. Take it apart ....
I didn't do quite as much surgery on my air compressor but just getting rid of the plastic housing makes the unit very compact.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
I bought the stop n go 'Pocket Tire Plugger' kit and the small compressor. Haven't had a chance to use either one yet. I use the compressor for blowing up my air mattress too......with a 'Black and Decker' air accelerator.

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
J&P's 2006 catalog has several tire plug guns in it. The biggest problem seems to be inflating the tire. Has anyone tried the spark plug hose that the HD kit has? If you don't know what it is, it's a hose that has a plug that replaces one spark plug and the other goes on the valve stem. I guess you fire up your engine on one cylinder and fill it with unburned fuel vapor. Not very attractive proposition to me.........:flames:

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
Geezer-Glide said:
I guess you fire up your engine on one cylinder and fill it with unburned fuel vapor. Not very attractive proposition to me.........:flames:
It has a valving system in it for fresh air. It doesn't put fuel vapor laden air into your tires.

T113

·
Registered
117 Posts
I pack one too. It's the stop and go with the mushroom shaped plugs and the gun to install them. I had to use it once. It worked very good.

What didn't work was the CO2 inflater. As soon as the inflater punchered the cartrage, the whole thing exploded into several peices. You may want to test yours before you really need it.

The plug never gave me any trouble and I had it in the tire for about a year and a couple thousand miles.

Whatever you get, test the inflater at home to make sure it will do the job. After the CO2 problem I bought a "hi-tech" bicycle hand pump but found as soon as it starts to biuld much pressure you can't pump it any more.

The brand by the way that blew up on me was "second wind" bought from dennis kirk.

·
Premium Member
3,288 Posts
MegaGlide said:
Oh, there's crap in a can that works for tubes if you put it in before you get a puncture. I thought you were looking for a kit...
I have trouble with the command of language I guess........

1 - 15 of 15 Posts