V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started to notice some tire sculping on the right side of my front tire (facing bike) ----- I'm not sure what is causing it------

QUESTION---- could it be the bearings ? , could it be the fork springs uneven tension ? , could it be the brakes are not at even squeeze and distorting the wheel somewhat ?

I did notice that my front brake would make a click every now and then about a month or so back.......

Another rider told me it was from the crowning of the road , and tires wear a little more on the left side.......

Any ideas or suggestions-----Any knowledge will be appreciated since I'm going to end up at the dealer for this , and I don't want them blow'n smoke......

Hutch

PS----another pic directly below, cuz i cant figure out how to lump jpg's in one post......duh

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hutch, I think the problem is more with the Dunlop 205 and 207 series tires then the bike. Remember they are made of a soft rubber compound for performance and not really a cruise bike. Here is a picture from my Buell that has done the same thing with a single disc. I would also guess that it has to do with aggressive riding styles and larger riders as I am 6'3 230 while my wife of 115 pounds has an identical M2 Cyclone Buell and has not seen any cupping at all. So far my V-Rod with 1k miles has not seen any cupping but I do not ride it the same that I do my Buell.

·
Banned
490 Posts
Your cup runneth over...

Most likely the cupping is caused by the crown in the road.

Three factors tend too accelerate tire wear - high speeds, heavy loads, and underinflation. Since there is not much you can do about #2 in that list, and you probably don't want to drive around like you were back in your "break in" period, I'd suggest you keep an eye on tire pressures.

The MSF people etc. suggest you check your tire pressure every time you ride, although in my opinion this is unrealistic. I usually check cold tire pressure at least a couple of times per week (i.e. - far more often than I check the pressure on my car tires)

The other thought that just occured to me is that you may want to adjust the pre-load on your rear shocks, especially if you ride two-up. This will mean purchasing Harley's phantom part # HD-94700-52C. It could be that by not increasing the rear pre-load when heavily loaded that you are forcing the front tire to do more of the load-carrying than it was supposed to.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have not experienced the tire cupping yet.

I bought a Drag Specialties tool to adjust the rear shocks - $10 from the dealer when I asked for the HD-94700-52C. It fits and works perfectly.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
V-Rod Thankyou's for the feedback....

I'll take all in consideration------This is my first bike and yes I'm a newbie compared to most here.....

Thanks again in advance to anymore input on tire wear

Hutch ( play'n catch-up in the maintenance dept ) in Ohio

·
Registered
544 Posts
I am a heavy rider and coming up quick on 2000 miles I haven't seen any cupping. Could it be tire balance issue?

Just wondering,

Dave

·
Banned
490 Posts
More cupping thoughts..

Your tire wear problems have been on my mind... I've got 2200 miles on my V-Rod and the tires still look pretty good.

Another area you may want to have checked out is your wheel alignment. If one of your wheels is out of alignment, it could cause you to slightly turn your front wheel to one side to keep the bike heading in a straight line. If you have removed either of the wheels for any reason (i.e. to put in the chromed wheel spacers, etc.) this could have been the cause. Tires on a bike are one of your more important safety devices, so I would have this checked out before you go too much further down the road. Spending $500 for new rubber and an alignment seems pretty cheap compared to the cost of fixing a crashed bike.

·
Registered
40 Posts
VRodDrew

With all respect, tire alignment on a motorcycle will cause you to crab walk but in no way can it cause the tires to cup. Alignment on a motorcycle is nothing like the alignment on a car.

Pay attention to the part of the tire that cups. It is the part of the tire that is only making contact during a turn. Also if you notice the cupping takes place just behind a tread ridge indicating that the tire slid over the tread from aggressive angle. Now I do agree that pre load of the rear can have an effect on the cupping but I still think it is more indicative of the Dunlop brand. And aggressive riding styles and heavier weights.

To try to put this in perspective look at the Firestone tires that are on late model GM trucks. Every set you look at with over 15k miles you will find the inside edges of the tires cupped and worn much more then the outside or center. While the front end may be in perfect alignment. Now the exact same truck that comes with the Michelin tires show perfect wear. Point being tire design and compounds make a big difference in wear and life of tires. Worth noting these are the same tires Firestone is being sued over that tend to explode on Ford trucks.

Now some mentioned balance. If your tire were out of balance you would not need to wait to see cupping to be painfully aware of it. It would also not isolate it to the sides, It would be pronounced in the center the area that is used at high speeds.

All opinions expressed are just that of an old mechanic that has been an ASE master re certified for over 30 years now. And of course a life long bike rider. Of course I also have two Buells so my mental competence might be questionable.

·
Registered
98 Posts
i went thru 2 factory tires that did the same thing! i finally went to a metzeler 880 tire and things are much better. they look better too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts