V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was just woundering what tire pressure you guys keep your tires at...HD specs or the sidewall spec...??

·
Registered
4 Posts
the sidewall spec is the max pressure and you'll wear out the center of the tire if you run it at that. My sporty specs are 36 rear 30 front, and I ride two up a lot. I kept the pressures there and the rear is wearing in the middle. If I had gone to around 29-30 on the rear it probably would have worn more evenly.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks

yeah, i know it was a "day-one" question, and my gut told me to stay with the HD specs, but i've been hearing different things again and figured i'd check with all you guys.

THANKS

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
I don't know how smart it is but I also tend to let the weather dictate. If it is going to be wet for a while I tend to run the pressure on the low end. If it is going to be Houston Hot as Hell, then I take it to the high end. There is an acceptable range and I let conditions detenine what end I am on.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Big difference between wet on the track and wet on the road.

While normally you would try to keep some temperature in the tires, as in cold weather, on public roads you do increase the chance of hydroplaning running lower then normal pressures in the wet.

When I lived up north I just ran much softer compound tires, but kept the pressure in the normal range.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
tire pressure..

local HOG tip:

"stamped on the outside of most motorcycle tires is a is a recommended tire pressure range, usually an upper limit. For longest tire life, you should strive to keep air pressure AT THE HIGHER limit. The pressure should be determined while the tires are cold, and nd not been used for a couple of hours.

The article goes onto explain that it is normal for a tire to lose about 1 pound/sq.in. per month and that outside temps. affect tire pressure. Tire pressure can change 1 psi for every 10 degrees F. with an example: a tire with 38psi on an 80degree mid summer day could lose enough air to read 26psi on a 20degree new years day. At 26psi, your tire is severly under inflated and dangerous.

It goes onto expalin reverse logic for winter.

I have Dunlops on right now but will be getting the Avons very soon. I wounder what the manufacturer's recommendations are.

(remember the Firestone/Ford problem)

For now i'll stay with the HD specs because I personally would rather have my tires a little underinflated than over inflated if I had to make a choice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts