V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually will fill to what the sidewall says at MAX load which for my softail is 45psi rear and 41psi front.

My question is, since I am not at MAX load, is it okay to fill to those pressures? Is it too much pressure day in and day out if not needed for max load?

AND, if some go less for a smoother ride, how much less is okay before you have taken out too much air?

Thanks all
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,261 Posts
If you're using the oem tire, I would use the specs from the owner/service manual.

The specs are figured for that tire and load you have. It is a bit of averaging but the engineers of both the tire and the motorcycle arrive at these figures based on the ability to carry the load, keeping the sidewall and the contact patch optimal for normal riding.

You can deviate from the spec some if you found a spot that works better for you, but usually just a couple of lbs either way. Too low a pressure and high speed running will create more heat leading to at least poor tire wear.



.
 

·
Ironbutt
Joined
·
7,415 Posts
HDtwice said:
I usually will fill to what the sidewall says at MAX load which for my softail is 45psi rear and 41psi front.

My question is, since I am not at MAX load, is it okay to fill to those pressures? Is it too much pressure day in and day out if not needed for max load?

AND, if some go less for a smoother ride, how much less is okay before you have taken out too much air?

Thanks all
For my 03 Softail the recommended pressure is 36/36 for solo and 36/40 for passenger. You can certainly go up to the max pressure but all you gain is a rougher ride and probably less traction. I would not go lower than recommended because it will affect your handling - too low and you'll risk damage to tire/wheel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
gauge accuracy???

and how accurate is your tire gauge?

I have 3 and they all vary by a couple pounds.

Tires require sidewall flex to work right. too low and too much flex = heat. too high and not enough flex = stiff ride, lack o' traction.

Here's a trick. Record your cold tire pressure. ride 30 or more miles, enough to warm the tire. stop and record your tire pressure. If you are close to correct you will have 4-6 lbs more pressure warm. not 4 and cold pressure is too high, more than 6 and it's too low.

steve
'06 883R ~ Taxes paid
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
772 Posts
How bout this!

Read the owners manual for your specific application. Or just fill them to 40lbs front and rear. Then check the pressire every 2 weeks or so. Its worked for me for over 25 years of riding and I have never had an issue with tires.%[email protected]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Roadie said:
Read the owners manual for your specific application. %[email protected]
How about this, I don't and never had the fuggin manual for this bike for the last 9 years and this is why I am asking about it on a .......a........get ready for it......a..........MOTORCYCLE forum where someone might have an answear %[email protected] back at ya :harhar: .


Hey guys......many of you say the Recomended tire pressure as opposed to the max that is stated on the sidewall....okay.......what is it or where do I go to find the recomended presure? a

As far as OEM tires like someone stated...these are several sets past.

For over twenty years I have just done 40-42 front and year depending on what the tire says and have been fine. Recently someone had said that max pressures were not good to use unless fully loaded.....I just want to know why?
Anyone?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,735 Posts
Won't hurt anything to run them at max pressure if you want to. Just may be a stiffer ride. The reason for max pressure for max load is so the sidewalls will stay strong and not sag too much. The way tires are made these days?...they could care less if you are running higher pressures. 9 years and no manual...and now you are asking questions about tire pressures? :hmmm:
If you are running DUNLOPS...go to your dealer and check what the book says or wait for an answer in here. With Dunlops you are "not supposed to run the max pressure that is on the sidewall". Don't ask me, ask the engineers. I can't help you since I have a Wideglide. If you are running something like Metzelers then you go with what the manufacturer says....since Metzelers use silica in the rubber for grip and therefore the sidewalls are softer....and need the higher pressures to ensure the proper strength is maintained.

See...now everything is as clear as mud aint it?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,261 Posts
miles to go said:
For my 03 Softail the recommended pressure is 36/36 for solo and 36/40 for passenger. You can certainly go up to the max pressure but all you gain is a rougher ride and probably less traction. I would not go lower than recommended because it will affect your handling - too low and you'll risk damage to tire/wheel.

Post #4....Your spec should be the same.






.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,261 Posts
miles to go said:
For my 03 Softail the recommended pressure is 36/36 for solo and 36/40 for passenger. You can certainly go up to the max pressure but all you gain is a rougher ride and probably less traction. I would not go lower than recommended because it will affect your handling - too low and you'll risk damage to tire/wheel.

Start with these specs and experiment from there.




.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
miles to go said:
For my 03 Softail the recommended pressure is 36/36 for solo and 36/40 for passenger. You can certainly go up to the max pressure but all you gain is a rougher ride and probably less traction. I would not go lower than recommended because it will affect your handling - too low and you'll risk damage to tire/wheel.

Thanks Miles!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
772 Posts
HDtwice

HDtwice said:
How about this, I don't and never had the fuggin manual for this bike for the last 9 years and this is why I am asking about it on a .......a........get ready for it......a..........MOTORCYCLE forum where someone might have an answear %[email protected] back at ya :harhar: .


Hey guys......many of you say the Recomended tire pressure as opposed to the max that is stated on the sidewall....okay.......what is it or where do I go to find the recomended presure? a

As far as OEM tires like someone stated...these are several sets past.

For over twenty years I have just done 40-42 front and year depending on what the tire says and have been fine. Recently someone had said that max pressures were not good to use unless fully loaded.....I just want to know why?
Anyone?
Its simple. A tire with too much pressure can become too hard, therefore it will ride hard and can possibly skid easier. Unless you're a 300 lb fat-a$$ and your other half weighs a half a ton. Then you're better off hanging with 40lbs in the front and 40lbs in the rear. Now go do the right thing and read the pressures on the side of your tires and ride to the stealer.:roflback: -2$en#e-
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
207 Posts
The recommended tire pressure varies by bike style and load. A RK custom is 36/36 for some one in the 160 pound weight range and goes up as the load increases, ie, a heavier rider, rider with gear, 2 up etc not to exceed the max tire pressure. However if you are running Metzlers then they have their own recommended pressures which are different from what the manual states because the manual assumes you are running Dunlops. At 165 lbs I run 36/36, a pressure of 40/40 makes the bike ride hard as can be. When I put the T-bag and camping gear on for a week of riding I raise the pressure to 38/38 and increase my air shocks 2.5 lbs. Some of the guys that weight in the 240+ range prefer to run the tire pressure in the 40-42 lb range for a smoother ride. Some vary the front & rear pressure. Set the pressure where it rides & handles best for you, just dont under or over inflate.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top