V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The COSTCO stores out here on the West coast use nitrogen to fill their new tires when they mount them on your vehicle.
Have noticed that I haven't lost any tire pressure since I had them installed on my truck 10K miles ago back in November.
Am thinking about going by the COSTCO store when I get my new RG and see if I can talk somebody into refilling my tires with.
Anybody ever try this, putting nitrogen in their tires?

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Aircraft use nitrogen. Its dry and therefore you don't get ice particles inside the tires when flying along at 35,000 feet. Ice in your tires kinda makes for a rough landing.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
very interesting . what happens if you need to fill up the tire away from a nitrogen filling source, can you use air in with it? wouldn't be going to buy one just yet if your thinking of it.

http://www.alltiresupply.com/c-Nitrogen_Tire_Inflation_System.html

found the answer on filling up on the road.

How Do I Get Nitrogen When I Am On The Road

In an "emergency" just top off your tires with air. Have them "converted" back to nitrogen later when you get a chance.

·
Registered
603 Posts
What sloxl said. The reason that formula 1 use it is that N2 is dry and expands and contracts at a predictable rate. Unlike air, 78% N2, the moisture content will vary with weather. The rate of diffusion through the tire is negligible. Good scam though.

JMS in TX

·
Registered
798 Posts
Its a nice gimmick in theory but in order to remove all the air from inside the tire, the beads would have to be sealed to the rim, then you would have to remove existing air inside the tire with a vacum pump, then fill with nitrogen.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Nitrogen is smaller from a moleculer standpoint and therefore more so prone to finding leaks. The trade off is the dryness and N2 tends to be better for the rubber also, slows the deterioration rate, another reason why the FAA requires the airlines to use it. We have to use special lined, (teflon), hoses when we test with it in our labs as standard high pressure hose tends to leak.

DLR

·
Registered
417 Posts
Nitrogen in tires??? That's what I call a solution without a problem.

Maybe the rubber wouldn't deteriorate as fast, but the tread wear would be the same and that's the critical item. Road damage is also a big risk and nitrogen doesn't help that either.

Tom

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Nitrogen is the major component of air (78%) anyway, oxygen is 21%.

·
Retired USN
61 Posts
Nitrogen is the major component of air (78%) anyway, oxygen is 21%.
Exactly.

So they let the air out of your tires and then add pure nitrogen to your tire, so the air left in the tire, plus the pure nutrogen, gives you ....................what? 50/50, 70/30, I agree with greenboot, and DEW2112. If it didn't cost anything and I was having my tires done at CostCo, I'd let them just to save the argument.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I had nitrogen in my speed triple tyres, but thats because I ran it hard, did a couple of track days and the nitrogen maintained better pressures over a wider temp range, which is important when looking for grip. The nitrogen also stayed in the tyre longer and didnt seem to get the same pressure drops over time that you get with air.

In conclusion I'd say in a hard run sport bike I'd use it but on a Harley whats the point, different style of riding.

Just my 2penny worth.

WB

·
2005 Road King Classic
1,632 Posts
Plus nitrogen is non-flammable!! That is always a plus when at 35,000 feet.

·
Restless
1,672 Posts
I started putting Helium in mine and gained about 8 mpg.

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
timbo said:
I started putting Helium in mine and gained about 8 mpg.
And if you had black tires you would gain 6 HP!! :265:

·
Registered
185 Posts
we run azote here in europe, it hold's up better temperatures (overheating)) and, for me, it ha the advantage of beeing whater free. I had problem with tubless tires of mine old BMW because aluminium strated florishing and it did not hold any more pressure. I cleaned up the rings plenty of time, then passed to azote: no more fleurishing and steady pressure for one year

·
Restless
1,672 Posts
Geezer-Glide said:
And if you had black tires you would gain 6 HP!! :265:
Just so happens I've got the Metzeler 880 blackwalls! Woo hoo! Fuggin A!! More power and mpg on helium!:banana:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts