V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 Deuce that I noticed my front tire is starting to crack around where it meets the rim. I took it to the dealer and they said it was just weateher cracking and it is not covered under waranty. Has anyone had this problem? The bike had about 3500 miles on it when I first noticed it.

Thanks

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
I say BS!!!

I have 9,300 miles on my front tire and the sidewalls are beautiful.

Don't waste your time with the service manager. Go to the owner or general manager of the dealership.

I was originally told that 1 quart of oil per 1,000 miles was considered normal. After some serious in the face conversation, I got new valve guide seals which cured the problem.... all at no cost to me.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I didnt argue with them at the time, they told me that it is only cosmetic and will not affect the bike at all. I had a little trouble accepting that since the only thing between me and the road is the tires. None the less I figured he sees a hell of a lot more bikes everyday than I do and for sure has worked on more. Now I wish I would have pushed the issue, I really do not feel safe riding on a tire that is cracking out already. He may be right, it may only be cosmetic and may be as safe as the day the tire was made. It just dosent give me a warm fuzzy feeling when I'm crusing down the highway at 70mph.

I did call the service manager at another dealer and he thought it should be covered.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Hey, don't get me wrong. If you think the tire is bad, replace it. Then take it up with the dealer.

If you ride it when you think something is wrong, you are a fool... a dead fool.

·
Registered
934 Posts
butters said:
I did call the service manager at another dealer and he thought it should be covered.
Why not take the bike there and have that dealership do the work? Just make sure it really is covered before you let them replace it.

Oh, and by the way, I would be replacing that tire ASAP, depending on how much you plan to ride this winter.

darrell

·
Live Now - Go For It
89 Posts
Any chance you can attach a picture of the cracked tire?

With only 3,500 miles on it and it being a 2005 model. On the sidewall of the tire look for the serial number and jot down the last 4 digits as this will indicate week and year tire was make. What kind of air pressure you running on it?

1205 indicates: 12th week of 2005

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
butters said:
I have a 2005 Deuce that I noticed my front tire is starting to crack around where it meets the rim. I took it to the dealer and they said it was just weateher cracking and it is not covered under waranty. Has anyone had this problem? The bike had about 3500 miles on it when I first noticed it.

Thanks
My front tire went the same way...............through lack of riding and being in a hot dry climate......................

Use this opportunity to change over to Metzeler ME880 Tires, I am running them and have scraped my new pipes already running the bike over on its side.

They stick like sh!t to a shovel.......................definiteley worth the change.

All the best, Ozzie

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Ozzie, your "signature" is excellent! I should do the same thing related to my well known Screamin' Eagle Performance Garbage Mufflers! (First I need to subscribe, yeah)

emirharley
www.sarajevobikersclub.ba

·
90 FXRS LOWRIDER
553 Posts
ever use any type of tire dressing.....say...armor all:dry: . dry climates will do that too. but that is quite fast, normally you won't see a tire do that for a couple years at least. though washing the bike will affect that also, soap and water only could be overdrying the rubber, along with sitting in the sun after washing.
i know you will all ream me for this but i don't care.:brows: get some black magic tire shine and a terry cloth applicator pad. :spank: DO NOT :spank:
do the treads, sidewalls only, and just a little spray on the pad and wipe the side of tire. this will help to rejuvenate the rubber and provide protection against this problem.
as far as your warranty question....i highly doubt that a tire is covered under warranty for weather cracks(which is normal). it happens to everyone eventually. look at your car tires, they are all doing it too more than likely.

·
Registered
769 Posts
butters said:
Well I didnt argue with them at the time, they told me that it is only cosmetic and will not affect the bike at all. I had a little trouble accepting that since the only thing between me and the road is the tires. None the less I figured he sees a hell of a lot more bikes everyday than I do and for sure has worked on more. Now I wish I would have pushed the issue, I really do not feel safe riding on a tire that is cracking out already. He may be right, it may only be cosmetic and may be as safe as the day the tire was made. It just dosent give me a warm fuzzy feeling when I'm crusing down the highway at 70mph.

All ya gotta do is take a picture of the crack and ask him to sign off on it and date it ,,,,,,trust me ,, you will get a new tire .......rat

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I run just a little higher pressure in it than recommended due to the shitty roads here in Okla. I run it at about 35psi. I have noticed weather cracks on my car tires but not on my truck tires that are over a year old. If it is just normal wear and tear and not hazardous than that is fine, I will agree with the dealer and I should put out the cost for a new tire. It just seemed that it is a little early for them to be cracking, they are just hairline cracks. Oh I dont use anything on my tires but soap and water but I do wash my bike frequently.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well after calling Harley, Dunlop and another one of my local dealers it seems the problem is solved. Harley said Dunlop would have to say about the waranty, Dunlop said they would stand behind it but a dealer has to make the call and when I told the second dealer about the problem He said no problem.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
ratt said:
All ya gotta do is take a picture of the crack and ask him to sign off on it and date it ,,,,,,trust me ,, you will get a new tire .......rat
That signature/liability thing always seems to get attention. Good call.

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
I have always been told to stay away from tire "Dressings" this has been reiterated by both Michelin and Goodyear when I inquired as to cracking sidewalls on my Motorhome.

Reason being most dressings are made from patroleum distillants like kero or Mineral spirits and silicone oil . They actually dry the wax and oils from the tires.
If the bike or car is rarely riden the wax that is impregnated into the rubber doesnt come to surface as designed to protect the rubber. storing a tire mounted or not near anything that produces ozone (electric motors) will accelerate the damage and long periods of sun exposer will do the same.

good read about tire dressings http://www.autoint.com/tsb/ford_leather.html

Slight cracks are acceptable in sidewalls. But if any cord is visiable discard the tire. Cracks in the tread are never acceptable and the tire is trash. But a tire that is on an 05 with 3500 miles shouldnt have hairline cracks yet. It may be the tire is defective

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
Fxsts103ci said:
I have always been told to stay away from tire "Dressings" this has been reiterated by both Michelin and Goodyear when I inquired as to cracking sidewalls on my Motorhome.

Reason being most dressings are made from petroleum distillates like kero or Mineral spirits and silicone oil . They actually dry the wax and oils from the tires.
If the bike or car is rarely riden the wax that is impregnated into the rubber doesnt come to surface as designed to protect the rubber. storing a tire mounted or not near anything that produces ozone (electric motors) will accelerate the damage and long periods of sun exposure will do the same.

good read about tire dressings http://www.autoint.com/tsb/ford_leather.html

Slight cracks are acceptable in sidewalls. But if any cord is visiable discard the tire. Cracks in the tread are never acceptable and the tire is trash. But a tire that is on an 05 with 3500 miles shouldnt have hairline cracks yet. It may be the tire is defective
Was about to post that myself, pretty much verbatum! Muchos Gracias...:beer4u:

·
Registered
49 Posts
I`m in the same boat.Have an`05 FXSTI,purchased new in June,and has cracks in the sidewall.Has a little over 3k on it.
I`m also chasing a leak that may be the valvestem,from what I was told to check on a previous post.
Gonna bring thr tire to one of the "better" dealers here,and see what happens.

·
Registered
769 Posts
8-Ball said:
That signature/liability thing always seems to get attention. Good call.

Yup ,, its very easy to fluff a problem away with words ,,, putting it in writing and asking them to sign it and date it and put a spot in their for a witness ,,,,,is a sure fire way to cut though all the BS. When the guy refuses ,, then you take it to the owner.......its a pretty cut and dried thing at that point ......game set match ..... rat

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,855 Posts
butters said:
Well after calling Harley, Dunlop and another one of my local dealers it seems the problem is solved. Harley said Dunlop would have to say about the waranty, Dunlop said they would stand behind it but a dealer has to make the call and when I told the second dealer about the problem He said no problem.
Butters,
Are you dealing with Myers-Duren and Rte 66 in Tulsa? If so, which is the good cop and which is the bad cop? Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
emirharley said:
Ozzie, your "signature" is excellent! I should do the same thing related to my well known Screamin' Eagle Performance Garbage Mufflers! (First I need to subscribe, yeah)

emirharley
www.sarajevobikersclub.ba
Sorry I took so long to come back to you bro, but yeah, those muthaf........!! at Wally`s are gonna find out all about my "friends" soon!

All the best, Ozzie

1 - 20 of 26 Posts