V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning ahead for having to change my rear tire. This will be the first time I have changed a tire on an HD. Just have a few questions.

How are these things balanced? I have washed the rear wheel many times and have not found any weights on the wheel (cast spoke wheel). There is a yellow dot by the valve stem. From my days of working with aircraft tires, that looks like the light spot on the tire that is aligned with the stem. From the looks of it, you align the yellow dot with the valve stem and you are done.

What is th toughest part of changing a tire?
Is the bead hard to break?
What should I watch out for?

I have all the tools needed except the tire irons. With the money I'm saving doing it myself, I'm sure I can buy one fine set of tire irons. I'll be ordering the tire over the net.

Thank you for the feedback. You guys and gals are great.

·
Registered
69 Posts
From many years of changing tires very few did not need a weight to get them balanced. With mag wheels slit a piece of rubber hose to put on the wheel lip before using the irons to prevent dings and scratches. Proably the most important part will be belt tension, axle alignment and proper axle nut torque.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts