V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the customary tip for your artist these days? Is it 20% like restaurant tips or more a of just a token? My cover is going to cost me 450.00 thats 90.00 @ 20%. I want to do whats appropriate and customary.
Thanks

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
Rick, thats about inline with what i do. My guy charges by the hour, not the job, so he charges me less hours and i in turn give a bigger tip for it...

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
I tip like I do in restaurants. I dont feel obligated to throw in extra money for bad service. The last tat I got the owner closed up shop so we could have a couple o beers and smoke inside(no smoking bylaw) and even stayed late. I threw her a big tip and will I go no where else now.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I tipped 20% on my last work, just yesterday. The artist seemed very happy about it, I think half of the kids coming in off the streets wanting to get in on a fad don't even bother to tip.

·
Registered
108 Posts
At least 20%.

Crappy "artists" laying down mediocre or even downright horrible ink are a dime a dozen. I waited to get into have work done by my artists because they were top notch artists, so I make sure to leave a good tip so they will stay in business and so I can get on their schedule for one of my next pieces.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Like the others said, if you find the artist that you want to tattoo you for a long time in the future, hook em up, they will appreciate it and are probably more likely to give you a spot on the appointment log then some punk kid coming off the street, because they know you are going to be a repeat customer for sure and build a good relationship with them and promote their business as an artist

·
Banned
6,957 Posts
There is another factor here and that is how much work are you going to get done. I had an extensive project done a number of years ago. It required many visits to the tattoo artist to complete. Each time I just paid him for the hours he did that day. I did not tip him after each session. A couple of years later I had some additional work done that was able to be completed in a day. That time I tipped him about 20%. Also, when I had the big project done, he was self employed working out of his own home. Later, when I had the extra work done he was working in a studio.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Most Ive seen around here already charge so much theres no need to tip em . I don't let them work on me .
My best friend is an artist and he has done my last two . Wont let me tip him even though the last was free .
My opinion has always been to tip at a reasonable hourly wage for most any other occupation . My usual is 8 bucks an hour to the artist for anything over 3 hours work . 2 hrs its usually a twenty .
All that percentage crap in my opinion is just givin your money away .
Do you tip your mechanic that works on your scooter ?
What about the guy that picks up your trash ?
Ever stop your mailman and just give him or her a cold drink and a honeybun ?
Have you ever even thought about tippin your doctor ?
Waiters and waitresses work for peanuts hourly so they should be tipped .

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
You have to tip a tattoo artist? Dang how long have I been away??!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts