V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've had the rear tire off of my Road king 4 times now. The previous 3 times I've removed the mufflers to be able to get the axle out. I watched the service guys at the dealer. They loosen the muffler clamp, disconnect them from the saddlebag bar, and just push them down. Can you say exhaust leak?

I should have installed new tires when I put my bike back together after getting the tins painted but they had some meat left on them. But I got the new tires last week and I can't stand the white walls so I'm getting them installed this week. Plus I went with the 142mm like the '04 and up touring bike have.

I have the bike on my Pitt Bull Lift and put a floor jack under the rear tire. I removed the left shock and removed the bottom bolt from the right shock. I jacked up the rear tire/swing arm until the axle would clear the saddle bag bracket. I looped a piece of rope through the bottom shock mount on the left side of the swing arm and tied to up to the frame. I removed the floor jack and took the tire off.

Just another way of doing it without removing the mufflers. Especially since Rinehart recommends using high temp sealant between the mufflers and head pipes for prevent exhaust leaks. The shocks take 2 minutes to take off unlike the mufflers. Plus its always a mutha lining up the mufflers to make sure they are equal length.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Good tip, I like it!

I actually used anti seize in my Rineharts just to ease pulling them when tire time came...

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I have heard of this from others and plan on trying it myself the next time the rear tire is due for replacement.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
I just put a new rear tire on and thanks to my 2:1 I did not have to remove the mufflers or the shocks. Before the 2:1 I used to remove the mufflers tho and always used anti-sieze.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I used anti-seeze when I first installed them. But after the first time I removed the heat shield and the muffler, I noticed the right side had an exhaust leak. So I clean them up and used high temp sealant.

·
Registered
287 Posts
ZR1Dan said:
Good tip, I like it!

I actually used anti seize in my Rineharts just to ease pulling them when tire time came...
I over did that same thing. I got smoke as it burned off and some splatter on the outside of the mufflers.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I been wondering about putting anti seize on. Its PIA getting the Y off. Actually there all a pain.

·
Wandering Child
632 Posts
thatoldbike said:
I have the bike on my Pitt Bull Lift and put a floor jack under the rear tire. I removed the left shock and removed the bottom bolt from the right shock. I jacked up the rear tire/swing arm until the axle would clear the saddle bag bracket. I looped a piece of rope through the bottom shock mount on the left side of the swing arm and tied to up to the frame. I removed the floor jack and took the tire off.

Just another way of doing it without removing the mufflers. Especially since Rinehart recommends using high temp sealant between the mufflers and head pipes for prevent exhaust leaks. The shocks take 2 minutes to take off unlike the mufflers. Plus its always a mutha lining up the mufflers to make sure they are equal length.
Wanted to bump this up to the top and say thanks for the tip. Did this yesterday and it went smooth as silk. I'll go this route from here on out. Would not have thought of it on my own...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Craftsman "Red" Jack

jimmymac said:
Wanted to bump this up to the top and say thanks for the tip. Did this yesterday and it went smooth as silk. I'll go this route from here on out. Would not have thought of it on my own...
I have one I want to get rid of. Good condition, bought it in the fall of 2005. Local pick up only - Richmond, VA area. PM me if interested. :D

·
Registered
51 Posts
Craftsman "Red" Jack

Freddyack said:
I have one I want to get rid of. Good condition, bought it in the fall of 2005. Local pick up only - Richmond, VA area. PM me if interested. :D
Dang, sorry I posted this to the wrong thread. :spank:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts