V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Pay Up!
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 RK with about 3k on the speedo. I've noticed when the engine is warmend up and perhaps a bit hot, I hear a tink in my engine when rolling god on the throttle. It's not speed dependent. Hear it at any speed. Is this the infamous "ping"? seems to be a tink. :wacko: Should I have it checked out?

Thanks!

·
Average Dude
6,263 Posts
Sounds like engine knock to me. What octane fuel do you use? As long as it is not a continuous knock, just the occasional knock, you should be alright.

·
Super Moderator
5,582 Posts
yup, you can bet your bottom dollar its pinging, tink is a good description of the sound. Run the highest octane fuel you have available.

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Yeh I get the same tink in an 06 Fatboy - when I give it a quick twist of the wrist it goes tink ONCE, just as I crack the throttle. The occassional ping in my opinion is ok, and tells you the machine is running near (at) the limit of AFR/timing, and that it isn't too rich and getting carbon building up. Of course for best performance it should be tuned to a stage where it shouldn't do it at all, but for a clean-burning standard engine the occasional ping isn't a bad sign.

·
<><
3,971 Posts
jonrober said:
Don't get 93 in Colorado so I run the highest 91. Thanks!
You're a perfect candidate for the Fitch Fuel Catalyst. My experience -- it eliminated that very "tink".

·
'04 FLHRPI
330 Posts
I also get the 'tink' on my '04 RK. I use between 91 & 94 octane, depending what gas station I'm at. Only Sunoco has 94 here.

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
Noise

jonrober said:
I have a 2007 RK with about 3k on the speedo. I've noticed when the engine is warmend up and perhaps a bit hot, I hear a tink in my engine when rolling god on the throttle. It's not speed dependent. Hear it at any speed. Is this the infamous "ping"? seems to be a tink. :wacko: Should I have it checked out?

Thanks!
Sound like a spark knock to me.
Need to pull down the rate of advance.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
cant say for sure what you have but when i was out there my bike pinged under a load, all the gas around was 91 and even saw an 89 offered as premium fuel. making my way back to memphis the ping finally stopped somewhere in oklahoma and doesnt ping with fuel here

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
back to dallas from sturgis; swung through denver across to vail and down hwy 24. 2 up on a 07 eg classics.

agreed ; that gas and altitude is tough on my motor. pinged no matter what!

back home and it is happy

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
jonrober said:

Thanks!
Hello, That is the very noisethat the MOCO says will not harm the motor. The very same noise that a dealership owner and I had a screaming match on the phone and he told me to shut up and then he hung up. The very same that I logged at least a dozen calls to the MOCO. It is an issue that they are no longer logging. Just like the fifth gear noise that they say is acceptable. The one that is getting worse. I have a real problem with the way that the dealers hands are tied as to the way they are only allowed to do only so much by the MOCO. Yes it is pinging and if you take it in be prepard to hear that it is normal. It is for the way they( The MOCO) designed it to run. Just my experience.:beatdh:

·
<><
3,971 Posts
It's a problem alright.

I would pay $50 to anyone (1 person) who has this problem and would like to try the Fitch Fuel Catalyst. I believe it will help some people, and would really like to see someone (besides me) try it and report back. If it doesn't work at least we'll all know. If it does work, that's worth knowing too. Whaddaya say -- anyone?

·
Pay Up!
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the info and advise! Sounds like it is an issue with altitude and octane. Guess I'll live with it as long as I live in Denver. Perhaps the catalyst is a solution here. One thing I do need on my 07 RKC is a good Dyno. Still have the canned HD map for the stage1.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Sounds like i have the same problem

I have that Tink noise also didn't have it untill just recently, i think its where i've been fillin, i'll have to try another gas station, i use 91 octane that's all i can get up here in Canada.

07 FXSTC

1 - 19 of 19 Posts