V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new S&S Evo motor with an open primary. I must be blind. Where the hell is the hole with the timing marks? I need to check timing. I have poping thru the carb and backfiring. Motor does not seem to run smooth. I think there is a wiring problem or ignition problem. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks guys

·
Registered
74 Posts
Look on the left side, between the cylinders is a case stud, just below that is an allen head plug. Remove the plug and you will see the flywheels.
Rotate the engine and you will see the marks on the flywheels.

New complete S&S engines come with ignition installed and timed. No need to set it but you can check it. The ignition plate is sealed by S&S and has a built in limiter that progresses with time. It is usually done in eight hours.
S&S does this to maintain their warranty.

Another thing is S&S uses single fire ignition system and it requires a special coil or coils. The engine starts up dual fire and at a certain RPM automatically switches to single fire. Single fire coil has 3 wire studs. Dual fire has 2.

Your poor running sounds like it may also be a fuel issue. Also check for intake leaks.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts